Pt 4 Chapter 15 - African sunsets

Y/n's POV

Steve decided to join us on our trip to Wakanda and volunteered to fly. It was good to get a break from life and spend a week or so in the lovely city. The flight took us a few hours but passed by quite quickly and surprisingly peacefully. Harriet slept most of the way which was nice as it meant we had a bit of time to relax. Okoye welcomed us as we landed in the same spot that we had merely months ago. The city around us still appeared to be full of life however the mass of busy people was noticeably smaller. The environment seemed more relaxed and to some degree less exciting. The Dora Milaje looked as if they were now in charge after T'Challa and Shuri had both been blipped.

"Welcome." Okoye smiled. Steve shook her hand and then Natasha pulled her into a hug.

"Thank you for inviting us." I heard Natasha whisper to her.

"It's my pleasure." The woman replied.

"I trust your flight was well?" Okoye enquired.

"Yes, simple as it was last time. It's weird to be back." Steve sighed, looking around at the tall buildings.

"Shall we head inside, you must be hungry."

We nodded and followed the armored women inside. The sun above us beamed down and warmed my skin, Natasha had put on her sunglasses and was wearing shorts. I had to admit it was strange seeing her in this environment again but not ready for a fight. It had been months since we had last worn our suits, I half expected them to be collecting dust by now.

"This must be Harriet." Okoye looked at the sleeping infant in my arms. Natasha nodded in response. "She is beautiful."

We were led up to a large room with a large dining table and windows that looked out across the unusual city. We took our seats with some of the other women who I recognized slightly from our brief encounters during the battle. "I know we spoke briefly on calls but I was still a little unclear on who was in charge now." I frowned, I was going to wait to ask but thought it was best to clear the awkwardness sooner rather than later.

"That would be us, mostly myself but the Dora Milaje is sworn to protect the monarch, and without one our responsibility is now the kingdom. There was a trial for a new king or queen however no one wished to take the place on the throne which came as a shock to us all." She looked around at her peers. They nodded at her words and looked up at the door as it opened. A trolley was wheeled in with a mixed buffet of food. It looked interesting with peculiar shades of yellow and orange which we didn't often experience at home in New York. The food was set on the table and we began to fill our plates.

"So tell me, how has life been back in America?" Ayo asked, looking up at me with a kind smile.

"It's been quiet, nothing really happens now. For the first time in years. Gosh it's just peaceful now that the messes of the blip are no longer tied to us to help with." Steve explained.

"It's been quite boring." Natasha sighed. I nudged her with my elbow and she smiled at me. Harriet was sitting on my lap and I fed her a bottle. There was another lady I had not yet met. She was watching Haz as I fed her, the woman's face full of a joyful grin. I glanced up at her and she looked away quickly.

"Do you want to hold her?" I asked quietly. She looked back up at me and nodded. She too was wearing the Dora Milaje armour but I had little idea of who she was. However she seemed friendly and welcoming. I must have been looking at her with a slight puzzled expression when she told me her name. "I'm Nakia." "Nice to meet you."

Natasha and Steve were talking official and fancy stuff with Okoye and Ayo leaving the rest of us just sort of watching. The food was unexpectedly very pleasant considering they had served up a delicacy native to Wakanda or Africa. I wasn't listening properly when it was explained as I had been pulling faces at Harriet.