Pt 4 Chapter 40 - Home is where the heart is

Y/n's POV

When I woke up on the morning of our last day in Scotland, I rolled over to look at Natasha, only to find that she was gone. I realised there was a bright shaft of light coming through the curtains, it must have been bright outside I thought to myself. After checking the clock I realised I had slept in. I took in a deep breath, pulling the t-shirt I was wearing closer to my face. It was Natasha's shield t-shirt that smelled like her. I smiled at the familiar scent and slowly sat up, rubbing my eyes. I made my way silently to the kitchen. Natasha was wearing a baggy shirt and fluffy socks, the smell of bacon filled the room as she hummed along to her favourite song, our song. It took me back to our first moments where we realised that we would never be just friends.

I crept up behind her, I knew she would know I was there. But I still wrapped my arms around her waist and rested my head on her shoulder, humming along to the song.

"Good morning sleepy head." She giggled ever so slightly.

"Good morning my love." I whispered. We both started humming again and she softly began to sing the words. She turned to me, taking my hands in hers and slowly moving them with her as she began to twist. We danced playfully, singing our own song as the brunch cooked.

"I found love where it wasn't supposed to be."

"Right in front of me"

"Talk some sense to me."

Those words had never rung so true. And it still felt so unreal.

Natasha served up the breakfast and I sat on her lap at the dining table as we ate it. It was slightly awkward but she insisted I stay there.

"Do you know the moment when I realised I was in love with you?" Nat asked suddenly.

"No, I mean maybe when we sang in the kitchen. But I'm not sure."

"At first I thought it was that night after the truth or dare, remember, you were really drunk and you fell asleep on me. Well that's when I realised I had feelings for you. But the moment I truly knew was when we were down by the river in Cornwall. You made me feel like I could be completely vulnerable, and I was okay with that. It was a weird feeling but I liked it. And then when you made that joke about proposing with the stones in the river, it made me realise something. That didn't sound like the craziest idea. Alright I'd fought aliens in the past which was probably the craziest thing, but the thought of spending the rest of my life with you, at that moment felt like it was all I had ever wanted. So that's when I knew I was in love with you. And soon enough I had fallen completely and unconditionally in love with you."

I felt hot tears sting my eyes as I listened to her words.

"Well, I first felt something on one of the first days. Yanno when I bloodied up my knuckles and you cleaned me up. You didn't have to care for me, look after me, you didn't even know me. And yet from that moment on you protected me and comforted me and you were there for every moment when I needed someone to lean on. And the more and more you cared for me, the more you trusted me, the more I fell for you. I didn't really let it click that I was in love with you until we were in Cornwall. It was that night that we first kissed. It was the most perfect feeling and it was then that I knew." I told her. She put her arms round me and gave my shoulder a soft kiss.

"Love you." I felt her smile against my skin.

"Love you more." I replied, continuing with my breakfast.

"Shall we have a bath?" She suggested. I looked down at her and nodded. Her face lit up. She ate the rest of her food quickly and disappeared off to get the bath ready. I took my position at the window seat again, staring out at the rainy city.

It wasn't long until she returned from the bathroom, I heard her footsteps on the hardwood floor. I turned to see her lent against the door frame in a silk robe. I felt my eyes widen as I excitedly got off of the seat. I jogged a little and jumped into her arms. My legs wrapped around her waist, resting on her hips and my arms fell over her shoulders. She kept hold of me and carried me to the bathroom. I hung onto her tightly, not wanting to let go. I opened my eyes again when she closed the bathroom door behind us. She ran us a bubble bath with rose petals and candles were lit around the room. There was a soft, warm glow in the room and a bottle of wine rested on the corner of the bath.

I jumped down from Nat's arms and she pulled the t-shirt over my head. I saw the smirk grow across her lips as she looked over my body. She slipped off her robe and we got into the bath. The water was just the right temperature. I rested back against Nat and her fingers brushed up and down my arm. It tickled slightly but was very relaxing. She kissed across my shoulder until she reached my neck. I closed my eyes and just enjoyed the feeling.

Eventually I turned to her and our legs fitted around each other so that we sat close. We leant in and I kissed her. It was a soft kiss.

Nat's lips were tentative and careful, my heart fluttered as I enjoyed the moment. We popped open the wine and took mouthfuls straight from the bottle. As we kissed again I tasted the wine on her tongue. When we pulled away Nat laughed slightly.

"What?" I smiled.

"Nothing, I'm just really happy. And I just realised how wrinkly my fingers are."

"Jesus christ." I chuckled. "Let's get out then, we can watch a movie before packing."

Around early afternoon we packed our bags and caught a taxi to the airport. We were almost late for our flight because the line for the loos was really long but I really needed to go. Nat did the usual mum tut as I hurried back from the toilet.

"Come on." She sighed, strutting off towards where we needed to go. I hurried behind her, watching her repeatedly check the time. But we did make it in time and were able to get on the plane just fine.

I didn't remember nodding off on the flight home but I was shaken awake by Nat just before the plane landed.

"Oh, sorry." I yawned.

"Don't worry." She smiled.

It didn't take too long until we were walking through the doors at home. It was dark outside and I expected Harriet to be in bed, however I heard the excited squeal as the door opened. Harriet ran over and Nat dropped her bags to pick up our daughter. I felt myself relax and the tension I didn't know was there faded away. We were home with Haz and even though I had the best time in Scotland I was really happy to be home.

"Mummy!" Harriet laughed.

"You're up late missy." I jokingly frowned.

"I was waiting for you!"

"Thank you princess." I replied, kissing her forehead. 

"Thanks Steve." Nat smiled as Steve got up to greet us. He brought our bags in and dumped them in our room. We held Harriet's hands and wandered off to take her to bed. She snuggled excitedly down into bed.

"Can I have a bedtime story please Mama." She yawned. Nat nodded.

"I'm going to go and get ready for our bed time." I smiled at Haz. "Good night princess."

"Good night mummy." She smiled as I kissed her forehead again. I left Natasha reading to her and headed off to make us a cup of tea.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this chapter is a bit short :( but I wanted to quickly round off pt 4. 

Hope everyone has had/ will have a good day. <3