Chapter 69

He saw her on a swing tied to a tree in her backyard. The swing was moving slightly, her blank eyes staring at the ground below.

Asuka: ...

Manjoume: Asuka.

She didn't respond. This put him in an awkward position; he wasn't really sure what to tell her. Seeing her miserable crushed him, so it felt like it was his duty to lift up her spirits. Somehow.

*a few hours ago*

Manjoume brought Serena home, Asuka and Fubuki rushing to their side.

Asuka: Serena! Where did you go?! We were worried sick!

Fubuki: Manjoume-kun, what happened?

Manjoume: Two men assaulted her, but I happened to be around. Thankfully, none of us got hurt.

Fubuki: What a relief.

Asuka: Serena, how many times do I have to tell you not to wander on your own?

Serena: You have some explaining to do.

Asuka: What?

Serena: My powers are growing to a point of going out of control. Compared to your power set, mine are completely different.

Asuka: Serena, this is not the ti-

Serena: It is. You will tell me here and now.

Fubuki: Now now, let's not be bitter with each other. How about we sit down and relax?

The earth below shook hard, the rocks coming out and forming a barricade between her and everyone else. Asuka put her hands on her mouth, shocked at the sight. The men stood there, unable to utter a single word. The young girl on the other hand, was glaring at them.

Serena: Will you say anything or do you want me to seek out the truth myself?

Fubuki: Serena, sweetheart. Why are you so tense?

Serena: I am serious brother. You two have been hiding things from me. So, will you talk or not?

Asuka: ...I don't know about your powers, but-

Fubuki: Asu-

Asuka: You are adopted.

Serena: ...

The rocks went underground, leaving holes on the floor. She was silent, trying to understand what she just heard. Without much hassle, she went upstairs, going to her room and slamming the door.

...

Manjoume: About your little sister... How did she become part of your family? I understand if you don't want to talk about it...

Asuka: I remember it like it was yesterday.

Manjoume: ...

Asuka: That night my brother and I were heading home when I heard cries. Searching for the voice in the woods was not an easy task. Then, I looked up at the sky. The moon was shining bright, its light being my only guidance. That was when I found Serena.

Manjoume: "Asuka, you are so kind."

Asuka: I didn't know who had left her there, but I couldn't leave that poor baby in a dark forest.

Manjoume: So that's how she came to be your sister.

Asuka: Strange, isn't it?

Manjoume: Well, it is.

Asuka: What would you do if you were in my place?

Manjoume: Me? I would probably look for her parents or other relatives.