Chapter 40

Yuto: Ruri!

Ruri: Yuto!

She ran up to him, placing her hands and face on his chest. This worried the young prince, wrapping his arms around her, as a means of comforting her.

Ruri: This isn't fair, Yuto. What did we do to deserve this?

Yuto: I wish I knew.

Vector: It's revenge.

Ruri pulled away from Yuto, both looking at the redhead.

Yuto: Revenge? What is that supposed to mean?

Vector: The person responsible for the attack is the former prince of the ex-empire. He wants to return the continent to its former glory, thus taking it away by force.

Ruri: No!

Yuto: Ruri?

Ruri: Power isn't a tool for revenge and war! Power should be used to help people!

Vector: ...!

Yuto: Ruri...

Tears started running down her cheeks. Yuto felt pity for her. She just saw her home invaded and honestly, anyone would have a mental breakdown after that.

Ruri: Everyone deserve to be happy and that's what power should do. It needs to make people hopeful for their future.

Yuto: You are right. With the power we have, we will make sure that this country has a bright future.

Yuto saw from the corner of his eye Vector suddenly turning his back, making him suspect the man. Even a little while ago, he was surprised by Ruri, but not because of her blurting out.

Yuto: "I never noticed it before, but he has been odd since the invasion started. No, even before that. Like, when he knew I and Ruri were..."

That's when he remembered that crucial information. He had forgotten about it thanks to the recent event.

Yuto: "Now is not the right time to tell her. I have to wait." Ruri, where are the rest of the people?

Ruri: We took shelter at the abandoned village.

Yuto: Why there?

She extended her arm with the bracelet. The yellow gem was glowing in the sunlight.

Ruri: When we were trying to find a safe place to stay, my bracelet glowed and that guardian appeared, leading us there. Since we did talk to it before, I followed it without thinking about it too much.

Yuto: ...I see. Now we have to wait for my brother and the others to return safe and sound. After that, we will devise a plan.

Ruri: Alright. I'll go ahead.

He nodded and she left. He turned to Vector and got closer to him.

Yuto: Are you alright?

Vector: Hm? I am fine.

However, the prince didn't seem to believe what he said. He raised an eyebrow, making the latter a little confused.

Yuto: You felt very uncomfortable when Ruri spoke those words.

Vector: ...You believe power should serve justice?

Yuto: What are you implying?

Vector: You and the girl are naive. None of you have any idea how reality works. You think other people will agree with that notion?

Yuto: Even if they don't, you have to fight for your beliefs. Isn't that what everybody does?

Vector: No one cares about righteous justice. All this world wants is to see the good will crushed before it.