Chapter 60

The inside of the pyramid they had entered was what they expected to see. Cold, eerie and echoey. Surprisingly, it was bright, since torches, which were high up, were lighting up the place. Yuzu was holding onto Yuya's arm, staying alert. The guys were less tense than her, but looking around for anything suspicious or threatening.

Yuya: Ow! Stop yanking at my arm!

Yuzu: You know, it's your fault I have stepped foot inside of this place.

Yuya: Eeh? I didn't force you to come along.

After that, he found himself landing face first at the ground, letting out a surprised shriek. Gongenzaka gasped at the sudden action, rushing to the prince's aid.

Yuya: Owww.. Why did you do that?

Yuzu: Do not forget that all of us are here because of you.

Yuya: Like I said, I didn't force you to follow.

Yuzu: Really?

She raised the fan, ready to smack him with it a second time. This scared the prince, so he was forced to spill the beans.

Yuya: Ok, maybe I did force you a little bit...

Gong: I agree on that, but we did follow you in the end. We could have chosen not to.

Yuzu: ...!

Yuya: Oh! Caught red handed!

Yuzu: S-Shut up!

They started laughing, as the fuss wasn't too big of a deal. Later on, they found themselves face to face with another entrance adorned with statues of snakes with rubies for eyes.

Yuzu: Those statues are giving me the creeps.

Gong: You're right. I feel uneasy.

Yuya: They aren't there just for decoration, that's for sure.

Gong: Passing through seems like a reckless move.

Yuya: Then we will test them out.

Yuzu: And how do you plan to do that without walking right through?

The prince grabbed a ribbon that adorned his clothing, taking it off and throwing it towards the path. Sharp needles got out of the statues' mouths, tearing the ribbon apart. Alarmed, Yuzu gasped and Gongenzaka had his eyes wide. Yuya on the other hand, didn't budge in the slightest. Instead, he had a satisfied grin.

Yuya: We can go through with no problem.

He went first, with the other two behind. Yuzu seemed puzzled, she wanted to get it out fast.

Yuzu: Gongenzaka?

Gong: Yeah?

Yuzu: Did Yuya do that because he knew how to solve it?

Gong: Most likely. His grandfather has been here before, so he told him how he made it out alive.

Yuzu: Huh... "Was it really because he knew the solution? It looked a lot different from where I was standing."

They continued down the path, becoming colder and darker the deeper they went. Eventually, they reached a dead end. The three scanned the room.

Gong: Hm? There's a tablet over there.

At first, it seemed pointless, since the tablet on the wall was blank. Below it was a receptacle for tar, which made the youngsters think.

Yuya: Something is meant to be put here.