Chapter 55

A bowl of ramen was placed in front of the green haired girl. She was sitting at the counter of an outdoor bar. The man from before was beside her, indulging on his bowl of katsudon. Rin picked up the chopsticks and was going to eat, but ended up staring at it.

Ponta: Girag-sama, she isn't eating.

He stopped and took a look at her side. Her eyes were blank, there was no liveliness in them.

Girag: You don't like ramen?

Rin: H-Huh?

She turned at him confused.

Girag: You were staring at it. Do you want something else?

Rin: No. Ramen is fine.

Girag: ...

He was clueless. He didn't know how to start a conversation with someone whom probably didn't even want to talk. Well, they were strangers, so talking to each other was weird enough, however he had found her on the woods and got her to one of the villages below the capital. He felt that she had a problem and despite being a stranger, he wanted to help her in some way.

Girag: So, young lady. Your name is Rin?

Rin: It is. You?

Girag: You can call me Girag. You said a while back that you didn't want to return home?

Rin: Yes.

Girag: Why is that?

She clenched her fists and her lips were quivering. Seeing that kind of reaction made him realize that the question might have been a bit too personal. He was thinking of an apology for upsetting her, but her voice broke him out of his thoughts.

Rin: ...You see, I am one of those people that cannot see their partner monster or activate their powers. Recently, I was able to do both, but...

Girag: It got out of hand?

Rin: Too out of hand if you ask me.

Girag: Your power set must be rare if it this hard to control.

She turned her head to see him, a look of surprise present on her face.

Rin: Rare?

Girag: There is a power set that is common among people and another power set that is unique to only one person. The latter is usually hard to control, since not many know how to master it.

Rin: My powers are one of a kind?

Girag: They can be. What kind of power do you wield?

Rin: Ice powers.

He was chewing his food while listening to her. Her statement left him still, but then spat out, leaving her startled. Ponta however giggled a bit at the situation.

Rin: Um... A-Are you alright?

A handkerchief was given to him by the bartender. The man wiped his lips and chin.

Girag: I apologize for the scene.

Rin: It's fine, accidents happen. Were you surprised by what I said?

Girag: You control ice?

Rin: I think so. I don't know what I am capable of.

Girag: "Strange. The only one that has control over ice is Merag. How can a human girl have a power that a Barian possesses? Unless... she isn't what she makes herself to be."

Ponta: You can blast ice though.

Rin: That is instict, I guess.

Girag: So you having a hard time controlling such power put you on a tough spot?