Chapter 35 - Fallout

It is about 12:15PM and Kara has just finished up writing the first draft of her latest article. Kara is in a really good mood because she feels like her life is entirely in place. She has a job that she loves, which fulfils her in regards to reporting. Reporting allows Kara to fight some of her battles with the 'pen', rather than her fists. Writing articles allows Kara to put certain issues in front of more people's eyes, and expose things to the world. Of course, she doesn't only right exposés, from time to time she also has to write informative pieces about companies, famous people and other things, including celebrity gossip. This is obviously how Kara began to grow a sort of friendship with Lena, before Alura became ill, and after she first visited Lena with Clark. Reporting also gives Kara a certain flexibility which she needs so that she can disappear at a moment's notice, when a Supergirl emergency occurs, and just cover it up that she has to go to an urgent interview.

Kara also feels fulfilled in her other job as Supergirl. Being Supergirl is not something Kara ever envisioned growing up, certainly not when she lived on Krypton, and probably even more so while she grew up on Earth, as everyone told her to hide her powers, and not be like Clark, not be like Superman. But Kara is so glad that she became Supergirl, as she feels so fulfilled being able to save people in danger, and put her special abilities, thanks to Earth's yellow sun, to good use. It is just a plus for Kara that being Supergirl also allows her to work alongside her sister, something she never thought would ever happen when they were growing up, as their career interested completely varied when they were teenagers. As growing up Alex was more interested in medicine, and that area. In fact, Alex even went to school to become a doctor, specialising in bio-engineering. Then as for Kara, she didn't really know what she wanted to do with her career. The only thing that Kara was sure of was that despite the fact she was going to be a scientist on Krypton, and join the science guild, she had no interest in doing that on Earth. Eventually Kara went to National City University and got a degree in marketing, even though she didn't really have a passion for it.

Kara is also fulfilled in her personal life; she has some great friends and family, who she loves spending time with. Kara loves her daughter to absolute bits, she honestly never thought that she could ever love someone this much. When Kara got pregnant with Alura, at such young age, just out of university, and just starting her job as Cat Grant's assistant, she honestly thought it was the worst thing that happened to her life. Kara thought that the notorious Cat Grant was going to fire her the instant she found out her newly hired assistant was pregnant, and in nine months' time would need some time off to give birth to her child, and take maternity leave. But Cat Grant was absolutely wonderful about it. Of course Cat was still incredibly difficult to be an assistant to, demanding the very best from Kara. But she did not fire Kara for being pregnant, explaining that she did not want to be like male bosses who fire women for being pregnant, just because it causes them a head ache, even though that is highly illegal. Cat instead just told Kara she expected her to give being her assistant her very best, but Cat also promised she would not expect anything too crazy from Kara, like demanding she run about the entire city to get her a bunch of things she wants, and Cat kept to that promise. Kara actually thinks that one of the big reasons that Cat actually kept her around for so long as her assistant is because Kara's pregnancy started Cat off on a different foot to all of her previous assistants, none of whom had lasted more than a few months. Then when Kara did go into labour, and need time off from CatCo, Cat Grant was very gracious about it, even sending Kara a teddy bear which read 'it's a girl', on it. Kara was honestly shocked by the gift, not only because Cat had got one for her, but because it had meant that Cat had to actually arrange to buy the gift herself and have it sent to Kara, as Kara was the one who usually bought any gifts that Cat needed/wanted to send to people. But after Kara gave birth, Cat gave Kara 3 months off, but Kara was back and ready after only 1, although Cat actually told her off for even suggesting she came back to work so soon, telling her to spend time with her daughter. This resulted in Cat placating Kara by agreeing that for the next 2 months she would just give Kara some small things to do from her computer at home, but nothing that would require her to work 9 – 5, just tasks that Cat wanted Kara to complete by the end of the week.