Chapter 59 - Assassination Attempt

Bang!

As Lena watches the man point the gun at her and pull the trigger, with the gunshot sounding out, she feels like time freezes. Several thoughts go through Lena's head concurrently in this moment. Lena's first thought is "Great, I'm going to get shot for the second time in 7 days". But then Lena's thoughts move to how this time she actually may die, and not be as lucky as last time when she took a bullet for Alura. However, Lena isn't afraid of death, of course she doesn't want to die, but she isn't terrified of her life coming to an end like some people are. What Lena is truly terrified of, is leaving Kara and Alura behind. Lena isn't terrified by this prospect for her own sake, or the sadness of never seeing Kara and Alura again due to her death, and her not believing in any after life, but for Kara and Alura's. Lena knows that Kara and Alura both love her, so much, more than she ever thought that anyone would love her, or felt like she deserved. So due to their love for her, Lena's death will hit them hard, and make them incredibly sad, and upset, and Lena does not want that. Lena can take death on the chin, but she can't take the result of her death upsetting the two people she loves most in the world. So, as the bullet comes speeding towards her, Lena just closes her eyes, preparing for the worst, and just pictures Kara and Alura in her mind, for one last time.

Time then speeds up for Lena, and for some reason, she doesn't feel hurt, or anything. Lena then opens her eyes and looks down at her chest, just to check if she isn't feeling the effects of being shot right now, just like how it was after she got shot while saving Alura, but there is no bullet wound, no blood, nothing.

"What the...." Lena says, confused.

Lena then looks up at the man with the gun again, and he pulls the trigger once more, firing several more shots at Lena. Lena just thinks that somehow she got lucky, as maybe the first bullet was a dud or something, but now it won't be. However, the shots all ring out, and there is still nothing.

After the man has finished shooting 4 more shots at Lena, unsuccessfully, he makes an attempt to step closer to her, but before he can, another couple of shots ring out, hitting the man in the chest, and causing him to fall to the ground. Lena then looks around to see where the shots came from, and that is when she sees Alex pointing her gun in the direction of the man, having just shot him. Meanwhile, Sam, who is standing next to Alex, with a shocked look on her face.

Alex runs to the man on the ground, kicking the gun away from his body, and then crouches down to check his pulse.

"He's still alive." Alex says.

Alex then reaches into her pocket, pulling out a phone and quickly tapping a number, making a call.

"This is agent Alex Danvers. I have a confirmed shooter down at the front of the L-Corp building. He is still alive, so I need an ambulance. Be aware, the site is unsecure, we do NOT know if there are more active shooters, or accomplices." Alex says, into her phone.

Lena turns to look at Kara, and she notices that her girlfriend has an angry look on her face, with her gaze directed at the man on the ground. Lena then looks down, and sees that in one of Kara's hands she is clutching a bunch of bullets. This is of course when it clicks for the brunette, Kara obviously used her speed to catch all the bullets before they hit her, doing it so fast that it was basically imperceivable to the naked eye.

"Kara." Lena says, gently, taking a step closer to her girlfriend, "It's okay, I'm okay."

Kara moves her glare from the man on the ground and looks to Lena, and her anger quickly disappears, being replaced by a relieved look.

"Oh Rao Lena, I'm so glad you are okay." Kara says, pulling Lena in for a hug, dropping all the bullet casings to the ground.

Lena hugs Kara just as tightly, glad that she didn't have to go through the whole ordeal of being shot again, for Kara and Alura's sake.