Chapter 38 - Emotions

Sam continues to hug a crying Lena for a long time, allowing the youngest Luthor to let it all out, while she continues to comfort her. Sam knows Lena so well that she is aware that for the last week, since Kara ended things with Lena, Lena has most likely just been hating herself, thinking the worst possible things about herself. Then because of that, Sam knows that Lena really doesn't have anyone in National City to talk to, or cry on their shoulder, not that Lena would openly choose to do that anyway. Sam knows that a friend of Lena's would literally have to force themselves onto her, just to force Lena to allow them to comfort her, as otherwise Lena would just sit in her hurt and emotional pain, just like she has taught herself to do throughout most of her life, thanks to the abuse of the Luthor family. But Sam knows that Lena has closed herself off from the world so much, that even outside of National City, Lena has no one that is a close enough friend to be there for her, and allow her to cry on their shoulder. In this regard, Sam knows that she is the only one. Sam of course had hoped that Kara and her friends were becoming that for Lena too, just so she has more people to surround her with love, and to show they care about her, with no strings attached. But Sam understands that with the current situation, obviously those 'friends' are not here to comfort Lena, and to lend her some emotional support. That is why Sam has flown across the country, almost a week early, just be here with her friend.

Sam got the phone call from Jess on Saturday afternoon, explaining to her that Lena was in a very bad state, with Jess giving Sam the basic details of everything that transpired, as far as she knew. Jess sounded so helpless on the phone, while also being very concerned for her boss. But Jess also knew that she couldn't be the friend that Lena needs, as their relationship isn't like that, with the boss-employee dynamic they have, even if they treat each other as sort of friends. So, when Sam got the call from Jess, and heard everything that was happening, Sam literally dropped everything. Sam worked with Jess to quickly organise the rest of her move to National City, and have all of her things shipped out, instead of her and Ruby driving across the country. Then by the time Sam was done, and had everything organised, she booked the earliest flight, which landed her in National City on Monday morning, earlier today. For Sama and Ruby to achieve this, they did have to catch a red eye flight, but thankfully they both got at least some limited sleep on the flight.

Sam allows Lena to sob for a long time, not pressing her to explain everything in detail, in regards to what is fully going on. Sam of course got some of the details from Jess, but she didn't get everything, she knows there must be holes missing from Jess' explanation. Eventually, after about an hour, Sam encourages Lena to take a shower, to get clean and make herself feel better, with Sam promising to redo the bandages around Lena's hands once the young Luthor is out. Lena for her part wordlessly agrees, nodding her head, still sniffling as she attempts to stop herself from crying more. Sam just thinks that a shower could do Lena good, as it not only will make her feel fresh and clean, but the water may also help with Lena's hangover. Sam is pretty sure that despite how bad the emotional state Lena is in, it's probably being made much worse by the hangover, as Sam is confident that the sobbing has not done Lena's, most likely pounding head, any favours.

"Okay, you take a shower, get yourself cleaned up." Sam says as she removes the bandages. "I'll leave you to it for a bit and I'll make us some lunch."

"O...kay.." Lena replies in a solemn sad voice, not looking at Sam.

"Is there anything you would like me to make in particular?" Sam asks, thinking that maybe there is a food Lena might want that could cheer her up, even if it's only a tiny amount.

"No." Lena replies solemnly, again.

Sam wants to sigh, but she doesn't think that response would be very helpful. Sam thinks that Lena might take it as Sam sighing because she is annoyed or upset that she has to deal with Lena, when the real reason is Sam is just upset that she hasn't found a way to cheer Lena up at all, even a small amount.