steve ~ boys diet

"You're real nice but I can't." I said. "Why not?" "I'm on a no boys diet." I gave him a sarcastic face as I leave the DX.

   A guy named Steve just asked me out for a coke but every man I met has left me. Even my father. So, I haven't trusted any man that much.

• steve's POV •

  I furrowed my eyebrows as she leaves. What the hell is a 'no boys diet'? Soda came in, he glanced at her before he came in.

   "Did ya ask her out?" He asked. I nodded. "Nice." "No, not nice. She done turned me down. She said she's on some 'no boys diet'. What the hell is that?" I said.

   "She means, she can't date at the moment" He said, I nodded. "Hey, if you still ain't giving up, she usually goes to the park after school to read or draw. I see her a lot there." He said. Maybe a second try won't hurt no one.

   "I'll try. She's a little fiesty."

• your POV •

   I was drawing random doodles in my notebook in the park. There were kids running around the place and screaming and yelling. It was loud but I was so used to it. I sat under a tree alone because I cannot be bothered while I draw.

   As I was doodling, I felt a pair of hands close my eyes.

   "Guess who?" They said.

   "Umm... Paul Newman!" I said. "Ooh real close. C'mon, someone better than him." "Ugh, I don't know. You have to show yourself." I said, going along with the play. They took their hands off my eyes. I turn around and saw my beloved bestie, Brandon.

   Yes, I know my best friend is a male. But that's different. I trust this man more than any male in the universe. He helped me through my dad leaving me, my ex boyfriends, Socs trying to attack me. He's the best.

   "You're nothing close to Newman." I shook my head. He sits down next to me, looking over at my doodles.

   "Did a guy ask you out today?" The same question he asks every afterschool. "Yeah actually, a guy named Steve at the DX." I said. His eyes widened. I look at him, confused.

   "What's with the face?" "Soda, steves friend told me that he hasn't asked a girl out since his last break up which was more than a year ago! Y/n? You got lucky there! The dude's a trusting man!" He said.

   "Well how the fuck was is supposed to know?" I said, "well what should I do now?" "Well, if you look to your right you'll see him right there in his car. I think he hasn't gave up on ya." He said. I look to my right and saw him coming out of his car and started walking to me. I look back at Brandon but he was nowhere to be seen. That boy-

   I look back to my right. He got closer and closer. I just waved at him. Hew abed back as he was finally next to me.

   "Hi, again." He said. "Hi." I replied. "Just saw you and decided to stop by." "Oh really?" He laughs. "You got me. Watcha doin'?" He asks, sitting next to me. "Nothin' much, just doodling." "This ain't nothin, this is talent." He said, taking a closer look at my drawings.

   I smile. "Thanks. So, I'm sorry if you hate the sound of this but I heard from my friend  - who I have no idea where he is - that you haven't asked a girl out since your break up about a year ago. Why's that?" I ask.

  He sighs, looking down. "If you can't answer that's fine, I'm sorry if that made you feel uncomfortable-" he puts his hand up. "It's okay." He said.

   "Well, that break up was real bad. I loved that girl a lot. Then she said she found someone else. She said he was better than me, more handsome, more romantic and he gives what she wants, when she wants it. Told her she didn't know what she was getting herself into but of course she didn't care and they drove out of town and she left me very heartbroken." He said.

   "Damn, that's tough. I get it, really. I uh- my dad left me. Just like that. He was there for me. On my 6th birthday I woke up feeling excited when I went to the living room, I saw my parents. They we're yelling and fighting. And he grabbed a suitcase and left. Slammed the door in my mom's face and drove off." I said.

   "Guess our heartbreaks are pretty similar." "Yep. You've never trusted a woman and I've never trusted a man ever since." I said. "Well, except my best friend Brandon. And for you, I guess your mom?" I said. He nodded.

   We sat in silence for a while. I broke the silence. "Hey, how about we change that right now?" I said. "How?" He asked. "What about that date? Is it still available?"

   He laughed. "I thought you were on a boys diet." "Ehh, a little date with a man won't hurt." I said. He gave me kiss in the cheek.

   "You wanna go now?" He asked. I nodded. He stood up and lend me his hand. I took it and got up. We ran to his car and drove around town.

   It was a lifetime memory...