Chapter 152 - Inquiry Part One

Monday.

It was not going to be a good day.

Zen's stress levels kept increasing by the second. He was positive that if he was not called soon, he would suffer a nervous breakdown or even worse, a heart attack. This silent waiting was more nerve wrecking than facing the most terrifying Boss in a battle. But then again, real life was always worse. One can't re-spawn or get a do-over in real life. There were no second chances once you screw up.

Zen checked his watch again and tried to remain calm. He wanted to get up and pace. Pacing always helped but not today, not now. Zen, the Orc Wars Games Master was sweating and cooling his heels in one of Kirin Group's (Head Office) exclusive waiting rooms. It had two sets of double doors. One he had come through earlier when entering the spacious room. But he kept staring apprehensively at the other set. That one led to the executive's meeting room where Nadine's disciplinary inquiry was currently in progress.

The Orc Wars Virtual Reality Director had been mired in Head Office for more than a week. Nadine was facing serious ethical charges. Only God knew what had been discussed earlier. It must not have been going too well because she was always in a bad mood when she called Simtrixx. She wanted documents, files and materials edited in a specific way 'to prove her case'. It had been hell for Adam's (Head of Editing) team.

The Disciplinary Board wanted Nadine's colleagues' testimonials before deciding on the consequences of her actions. That was why he had been summoned here today, to be a witness. It was going to be so awkward.

The Inquiry was a transparent one. Everything was to be said and done in front of Nadine, the relevant Directors chosen for the Disciplinary Board and Jared Cruz, the CEO of the whole group! Why the CEO himself was interested Zen had no idea. It was not like he had a personal stake in this right? Simtrixx was just a small subsidiary of Kirin Group's many varied investments and activities. Didn't he have better things to do with his time?

Zen looked around the waiting room at his colleagues. Everyone was pale and nervous. Everyone was afraid. Would they get fired today? Tomorrow? Or within the month. But whatever happened, he was determined to tell the truth. His honour and conscience would not allow him to do otherwise even if it cost him his current dream job and position at Simtrixx. He sighed heavily but he was determined to do the right thing.

"Hey, it will be alright. I said I'd take the blame and I will. It was wholly my idea to modify the NPCs algorithms if only to counter the Director's interference."

Damon, Head of Creative and Adam, Head of Editing laughed mirthlessly.

"Zen, did you really think we would let you take the fall for us?"

"Yeah. What do you take us for?" asked Damon as he went over to the Games Master and clapped him on his back.

"Thanks but you don't have to," said Zen. "I really meant what I said back then."

He had his honour. When he had brought the idea to Damon and Adam, he had really meant to shoulder the consequences himself. His only intention was to level the playing field for the Players in his beloved Game. He did not alter it so much that the Players were given the solution outright. They still had to solve the puzzles themselves failing which they would have failed the quests and redo them. That was how the game should work.

"Real Gamers stick together Zen, you know that," retorted Damon. "You wouldn't have said that fifteen years ago when we were gaming in any dungeon and you shouldn't say that now." He looked over to Adam.

"Damon is right. Once a Gamer, always a Gamer. We know what teamwork is all about, no need to be a Hero. No one forced us to go along with you."

"Yeah, we knew the risks when we agreed. For what it's worth, I still think we did the right thing."