Chapter 108 - A Field of Corpses Part One

The group were standing on a narrow strip of barren land sandwiched in between a blackened landscape. It was approximately ten meters in width and extended to the left and right as far as the eye could see. Lazarus glanced at the Witch in chagrin, the group was now effectively trapped in the 'safe zone'.

Behind them, the grey mist continued to swirl beyond a twenty meter dash back to where they had emerged. In front was the same but the burnt horizon disappeared into a world of gloom. Going back was not an option. They could not jump up nor be certain of landing on the rocky ledge they had leapt down from earlier. Also, the way back was now crowded with drool dripping, ravenous, half burnt creatures.

The land beyond that could only be described as hell.

Wisps of smoke rose from patches of smouldering vegetation. The cracked dry ground was burnt black, soot scattered everywhere. The only light came from between the deep cracks in the ground where what seemed to be lava flowed and the glowing embers from smouldering vegetation. Piles of incinerated deadwood littered the place. It was gloomy and hot.

A sudden gust of hot air brought them a horrible stench making them gag.

"Ughh, what is that stink?" Constantine asked hastily covering his mouth and nose. "It smells like rotting eggs."

Valentine looked out at the bleak landscape and pointed, "Or rotting flesh. Look!!"

They now had the leisure of checking out the shapes looming out of the landscape. Out of the gloom, more and more dark shapes were slowly pushing themselves up from the ground and ambling towards them. The gathering at the boundary was growing larger by the minute.

The moaning slurping sounds became louder as all manner of creatures stared balefully at the small group. Many had been caught in the Field of Corpses. Some had matted fur and some peeled skin. Some stood on four legs and others on two. They did not seem to care or feel the open sores and wounds festering upon their bodies. Dried blood and puss stained rags, skin and fur. The emerging creatures lurched awkwardly as if they had trouble controlling their limbs. They limped and staggered forward staring menacingly ahead, using their sense of smell to orient on the trespasses. Several gaunt orcs were also among those gathered.

Several warriors swallowed hard. "The lost ones. We have found them."

"The things are only appearing behind us," Constantine said. He raised his glowing hands, ready to hurl spells at them. "We will have to get pass them if we want to go back."

"Who I mean ... what are those?" gulped the Thief.

"Lady?" Lazarus asked the Witch but his silver eyes were trained on the emerging dark shapes. He had automatically slipped back into battle mode, arrow nocked and ready to fly at the first signs of attack.

"Welcome to the Field of Corpssesss. Our presence has alerted the field dwellers. Do not worry, we are safe here. They can only roam the burnt lands."

"So we are in the first ring of the Bello's defences? And those are walking corpses, as in zombies?"

"Not zombiesss, they are ssstill alive for now but are cursssed by the land. All who sstay here too long become like that or if you are unfortunate enough to get bitten by them." She then looked pointedly at the group, "Do not get bitten."

Valentine rolled his eyes whilst Constantine snorted at the useless advice. Anya bared her teeth, her hackles rising. She did not like the Witch. Kalthu cracked his knuckles aggressively. Immediately, his Captain signalled the nervous warriors. Steady, stay alert and in position.

"Not a problem. We don't plan to stay here long," announced Kalthu. "Shall we go on? None have appeared there yet." He pointed at the gloom in front of them "Lazarus?"