Chapter 57 - Heavy Artillery

Aria had left Nyx in her own protected city. She needed to see what was happening before re-joining the fray. Lazarus' city had been overtaken by the enemy. The fighting outside the gates had ceased. All surviving allies had received a message to pull back and wait. That was Lazarus last message. The enemy troops had entered the city proper. The nineteen ghost lords were busy reorganising themselves in the sieged city. The gatekeeper's grave was still guarded.

Jace was on his phone. He had gulped down some water and been busy messaging in-game instructions before jumping up for his phone. He gave her a wink and grinned at Chloe who barely looked up. She was having Jinx follow Valentine to a rendezvous point. Ash was still virtual and had the situation under control.

Then Jace had picked up his phone to make some calls. Aria wondered what he was up to, who it was he was calling now ... and would it help? Would it make a difference? The situation in there was pretty much hopeless.

"Hey! Hello?"

"Lorenzo? It's me."

Aria listened to the one sided conversation curiously.

"Busy? What?" Jace laughed boyishly as he paced around the small studio. "I've got something better for you to do if you're interested. Listen I need your help, Laz is in trouble ..."

Aria's dark brown eyes widened. Jace had casually mentioned Lazarus to this Lorenzo guy and he was asking for help? Who was this guy?

Jace winced as he held his phone from his ear. From her spot, she could hear a male voice shouting from the phone. "What! Who dares! I will keeeeel them!"

Grinning, Jace continued his conversation. "Yeah ... twenty plus their armies, owww ..." he jerked his head from the phone again. Apparently the person he was talking to got excited very easily.

"TWENTY!! The cheeeeters!!" the voice bellowed from the phone.

Aria covered her mouth to stifle a laugh. The guy was a drama queen.

"Could you log in? How big is your army? If they are just sitting around ... Oh wow, that would certainly help. Huh? Sophia's there too?" Jace turned and went to perch on the window sill. "Sure ... if she is free and don't mind, I could use her help too ... uh-huh yeah ..."

Hmmm. If Jace could ask for help openly ... an idea popped into her head. Aria went back to her laptop and opened up another tab. Soon she was engrossed. She did not notice when Jace finally ended his call.

He stretched and went back to his place on the mattress. It had been about ten minutes since Aria had logged him out. They had made good use of that time. He had organised the remaining armies and called for reinforcements. Lorenzo and Sophia should be logging in now.

Aria was busy tapping on her keyboard and he needed to get back in the game. He was going to reclaim his city and kick all the invaders out.

"What are you doing?"

"I've got an idea to help you out but Nyx is going to have to stay safe. I need to be able to chat freely without worrying about her. I won't be fighting anymore."

"Oh. Okay."

Jace sounded so disappointed that she laughed. "I'm not abandoning you or Laz. I could never abandon you. I promise you that I'm helping."

He cocked his head and lifted an inquiring brow.

"I'm not telling you yet but if what I have in mind works, once you kill those Heroes in your City you won't have to worry about them coming back to fight you again. They will be too busy to bother you once they re-spawn."