Chapter 7 - Isis's Orb Trial Part 1

The Assassin moved purposefully towards the main gates and announced himself to the Captain of the Guard. He was dressed in midnight blue with silver runes running along the edges. Moments later he was ushered into Lady Isis' great audience hall. He bowed low to the beautiful figure in white on the dais.

"Greetings Lady Isis."

"Welcome Lord Lazarus," Isis, Priestess Level 66 smiled in welcome at her fellow Gatekeeper. Taking note of his formal greeting, she frowned a little, marring her smooth complexion.

"Why so formal my Lord? Are we not friends? Is there something I can do for you? Another trade perhaps?"

He smiled. They had already completed the trade of several bottles of special Health potions. No need to display all his movements within the game. This was to formally request Isis's Orb Trial.

Lazarus could have gone straight to her Trial site, if only he knew where it was. He did not want to waste time searching for it via clues scattered throughout the land, so he had simply come directly to her home. A player had to officially search for the gatekeeper's trial site, painfully gathering clues and piecing them together before requesting it from the NPC onsite. The only other way was to request the trial from the real gatekeepers themselves, which was next to impossible; they were never around and they discouraged random players into their cities.

He had an advantage.

"I am afraid not My Lady, I am here to ask of you a favour. I would like to take your quest and attempt your Orb Trial."

Vera knew what was coming, Jace had called her earlier for her help and to outline his plan. Good thing all the Gatekeepers knew each other outside the Game. They had met each other in the real world after Season One and had kept in contact. All five had become good friends, often passing each other gossip or information concerning the Game and their Orbs.

The Priestess had agreed with him. The Assassin's best course of action was to fight his way to the Orc Realm and find a cure there. It made sense that the antidote or its ingredients was there. It had been so obvious that they had all missed it. Going over was his only chance of recovering from the deadly poison that was slowly but surely rendering him useless.

Still, actually seeing him there in front of her made her hesitate. She wished there was another way. He would probably get hurt or die several times before achieving his goal. Dying was always painful for them (Gatekeepers) because they usually played virtual. Other players could die 2D without experiencing the pain and horror Simtrixx so thoughtfully made so real.

"Are you sure?" she asked, a small part of her hoping he would change his mind. They could continue searching for an antidote in this realm or try to cultivate a contact over there. What about Khaltu, the orc prince? Maybe there was a way to contact him, she mused.

"My Lady, I have no choice. Time is running out." He bowed his head, "Tell me what you wish of me."

She sighed. They had to play the scene through, Simtrixx was still watching their every move. The five Gatekeepers were being paid by the company and any Game interaction was still being recorded for potential gaming and promotional purposes. Interest in the Game was kept alive by fresh and exciting footage. They were now the official faces of the Game.

Well, she had wished him luck earlier. She could not divulge the secret of her quest. He would have to figure it out for himself.

"My Lord, there is a new disease spreading throughout the Land. Many have died from it and many more will follow if a cure is not found soon. I have made the medicine, only one crucial ingredient is missing."