Chapter 56 - Saving Lazarus

"Incoming!!" SubZero cried in anticipation as the empty grave between him and his fellow assassin started glowing.

Reaper readied his short sword. He would jump in for the kill. He wanted the death points and SubZero had uncharacteristically agreed to let him have it. SubZero didn't need it, he reasoned, the assassin was already level 64. Reaper was level 62 but wanted to get ahead.

"Everyone! Get ready, Lazarus is re-spawning."

The four NPC units around the grave raised and aimed their loaded crossbows into the grave.

"Wait for it," SubZero cautioned. "Wait until he has fully re-spawned and conscious or it won't count."

In the grave, a figure was forming. They waited patiently as the body solidified becoming the famed gatekeeper. He lay on his side, unmoving. His long dark hair partially covered his handsome face.

A groan sounded.

SubZero signalled. Wait.

The gatekeeper moved weakly, pulling his hands in. He groaned again as he pushed his lean muscled body, trying to get up.

"Now!"

The four released the triggers, arrows shot into the grave piercing the recovering Hero. His newly formed body jerked at the unexpected pain.

"Aarrrgghhh!!"

Reaper jumped into the grave. He would have to deal the death blow to get the points. He whipped out his short sword and plunged it into Lazarus. The gatekeeper responded more out of reflex than anything. He grabbed the short sword and pulled it out of his body with a painful yank. Reversing the weapon, he sank the blade into the Hero atop him, twisting it mercilessly. Reaper cried out in shock. "No!"

Death Blow Experience Points deducted from :-

Reaper, Assassin Level 62, minus 250,000 XP

Death Blow Experience Points awarded to :-

Lazarus, Assassin Level 80, plus 250,000 XP

SubZero aimed and shot his bow. His deadly arrow hit Lazarus squarely on his heart rupturing it.

Death Blow Experience Points deducted from :-

Lazarus, Assassin Level 80, minus 250,000 XP

Death Blow Experience Points awarded to :-

SubZero, Assassin Level 64, plus 250,000 XP

SubZero smiled as the grave was lighted up with the exploding avatars. Calmly he reloaded his weapon.

"Everyone, reload. When he re-spawns, keep shooting until he dies."

So much for Reaper, the greedy fool, SubZero thought in contempt. Lazarus was not a gatekeeper for nothing. He was smart and an experienced player, he knew how to take advantage of any situation. Nothing was free in this world just like in the real world. Everything had a price. Outwardly, he kept a neutral mask. He was supposed to be in a team.

Thanks Lazarus, he thanked the gatekeeper silently. Thanks for killing that fool and giving me your death points.

The Assassin waited until the re-spawning cooling period was over. The grave started glowing again signalling the Hero's arrival. SubZero got ready. When Lazarus started moving, he signalled following up with his own arrows. The poor gatekeeper was shot mercilessly. He clutched at his multiple wounds, trying to make sense of what was happening. Lazarus was bleeding profusely as he exploded again.