Chapter 88 - Overlord

Prince Kalthu, Warlord of the orc realm beat his fist over his brass arm band smartly in salute to the Overlord.

"Esteemed Overlord, I present to you Constantine and Lazarus, human gatekeepers whom I have had the honour to fight with during the Sharabur war," Kalthu announced loudly.

The Overlord sat on his throne and stared at the two fragile creatures unblinking. His great battle axe and assorted weapons leaned against his solid throne, within easy reach. He was huge, larger than the average orc. Muscles bulged under his luxurious furs and rich leather studded coverings as he leaned forward. Intelligent black beady eyes flicked momentarily to Kalthu before returning to studying the fabled humans before him.

The humans had entered into his presence unarmed. The Overlord's mouth twitched. Smart move. Very smart and tactful of Kalthu, he acknowledged the strategic move. However, he did not for one second believe they were helpless. On the contrary, these puny pale beings may very well be as deadly as the tiny meep rakeesh, a local wild feline-like creature. They were harmless and unassuming until aggravated.

Kalthu, his trusted Warlord and son had staked his life and reputation to bring these two into his presence. The question was 'Why?'.

"Jauk?"

In response Kalthu banged his fist smartly against his brass band again, nodded and bowed curtly.

Mallarg, the royal Necromancer stiffened slightly at the Overlord's right. He too understood the implications of Kalthu's carefully worded introduction. These delicate looking beings were the powerful Warlord's brother-in arms? Really? Inconceivable, but it did make him take a closer look. Physical appearances could and often were deceiving. His gaze passed over Lazarus but he inhaled sharply as he studied the one called Constantine. As a practitioner of the dark arts, he could see what others could not; that human was glowing with mage magic. His eyes narrowed. Very strong mage magic.

Thalasis the Holy Seer looked upon the humans with interest, She was not an orc. Varying shades of green scales covered her skin which glimmered as it caught the suns' rays streaming through the windows. She had seen them in her nightly visions for some weeks now. Constantine would make Mallarg nervous she thought in amusement. The red clad human posed a direct challenge to the Necromancer's magical powers. Her gaze settled on the dark clothed one, Lazarus. She sniffed the air discreetly confirming her premonition. The faint scent of death filled her reptilian nostrils. Yes, he was the one, the one from her dark dreams.

By introducing them as comrades, Kalthu had implicitly announced his alliance with them despite fully knowing their dangerous human nature. He had also mentioned the Sharabur war, the recent foreign war that Kalthu had been involved in the human realm. The one he had begged warriors for and came back triumphant with the traitor, Varbuk in tow. Kalthu had been cleared of all false rumours and bestowed the title and position of Warlord.

The Overlord's face hardened, The traitorous Varbuk had said a lot of interesting things before he was beheaded. Mallarg had not known he had done his own private interrogation. He smiled cynically, it was the best way to get honest information.

He had sent Kalthu to the human realm upon an urgent and frank discussion with Sharak. Although Kalthu had brought back crucial information, he had failed to obtain the Item mentioned by Sharak. The Overlord's eyes narrowed. Maybe these humans could help, they may know of the Item or ... even have the Item on them? Hope rose in his black heart for the jaav ukon.

He would hear them out he decided. Kalthu had fought alongside them in the Sharabur war, that would alleviate them from mere warriors to the rank of jauk. Warriors? Hmmm, yes, their deceptively relaxed but guarded stance confirmed their fighting experience. He noticed their hands were free of any weapons but that did not mean anything. Their bodies and minds could be weapons, like Mallarg and Thalasis by his side. They were no ordinary humans. Gatekeepers? What was that? It was an unfamiliar term. He would have to question Kalthu in depth later in private.