Chapter 36 - Constantine

Lazarus, Valentine and Nyx stood at the mouth of an ancient Egyptian styled tomb. Nyx had requested to follow them. She wanted to learn from the best and what better way to do that than to do an Orb trial with two legends? Her usual team had all gone their own way, busy levelling up and honing their Skills. Azazel the warlock and team leader had given them some time off, after which they would gather for another attempt at Lazarus's orb trail.

Well, she could practise and learn first-hand from these experts. Nyx could barely contain her excitement, imagine, hanging out with two Gatekeepers! And the bonus for today is having the opportunity to meet the one and only Red Mage, Constantine.

Lazarus had warned her that the Orb Trials were different from dungeons. They were more dangerous and intense.

"The Orb trials are designed by the gatekeepers, so it reflects them."

"I know."

"The others were all unique. Constantine's should be the worse of the lot. He is the highest level Hero and gatekeeper in Orc Wars."

"The Assassin's Path isn't exactly a walk in the park. You keep adding traps and twists to it." Nyx made a face, "I still haven't passed that one."

He smiled at the compliment.

"C'mon, I'll introduce you to them."

Meeting Valentine was an experience in itself. He was extremely good-looking, impeccably dressed and dashing. He was also charming and friendly. When Lazarus had introduced them, he had gone right up to hug her but instinctively changed his mind when she had backed away reflexively. He had caught her sudden anxiety and instead of hugging her had smiled boyishly at her and taken her hand for a firm handshake. Then he had gone on to joke with Lazarus, giving her time to recover.

Lazarus too had noticed her awkward reaction. He had exchanged a meaningful look with the Thief whilst she was recovering. She had accepted the warm handshake with a relieved smile. At least she was able to tolerate some physical contact. He smoothly glossed over the incident and led the way to the site of Constantine's Trial, setting a pace that discouraged talking.

Nyx had glanced at the assassin gratefully wondering if he had noticed her weakness.

The two Gatekeepers' familiars were also with them. Anya had mind-spoken Tanya explaining the presence of the human girl. She was Lazarus's 'friend' but not a pack mate. She couldn't 'see' them but knew what they were. Tanya had eyed the girl doubtfully before accepting her. As long as she did not make any trouble for them or for her Chosen, Tanya would go along.

"Well?" Valentine glanced at Lazarus.

"Ready?"

Valentine gripped his sword in response and Nyx nodded nervously. She would follow their instructions, learning along the way and try to stay alive as long as possible. The Red Mage was the highest ranking Hero in Orc Wars, maintaining his position even after Season One.

"Here we go," Lazarus muttered and raised his voice, calling out to the empty air to invoke the Gatekeeper's presence. "Greetings, Lord Constantine."

A flapping sound was heard as a flash of red streaked towards the group. A moment later, the Red Mage appeared, regally dressed in black and crimson. He gestured and his red falcon landed daintily on a nearby rock. The familiar gripped his perch and cocked his head towards it's master, making clicking inquiring sounds with its beak. Constantine whispered something to it and the magnificent bird settled down.

A grand entrance indeed, fitting for the great warlock. Constantine, Warlock Level 83, smiled in welcome at the group.

"Greetings, old friends and welcome." The Red Mage bowed slightly in courtly fashion.