Chapter 79 - Orc Village

There was nothing of significance in the village, except the large orcs. The orcs were greenish, muscular and strangely wary of the outsiders. The males were powerfully built and were obviously very strong. The females, though smaller were still taller than the travellers. They too seemed tough and used to physical labor.

The orcs went about their business and tried to ignore the small dusty travellers. Although, these puny beings were no threat, they did not want anything to do with anyone, not when times were so turbulent.

The Overlord was anxious these days. Since the news of Sharak's death, he had been agitated. The powerful Lord had sent out patrols of his Warlord's warriors to fetch the Banished One's spawn in hopes of an alternative solution. Hopefully, she would know something of her father's work.

Unfortunately, it was the Necromancer's Imperial warriors who had caught her trail, making her flee into the forbidden mountain, the very mountains shadowing their little peaceful village. The grey warriors were near and had been combing the area for Kasakh since she had vanished up there a week ago. The Imperial warriors had not ventured up the mountain but kept close watch in the vicinity. The forbidden mountain was forbidden for a reason. Only foolish orcs went up there. If the fool girl wanted to risk her life and sanity up there, let her, they knew better.

For years, every orc who had gone up the forbidden mountain, had not returned, however strong, skilled or powerful. All had vanished into thin air. Only the great prince Kalthu had survived the mysterious mountain. He had gone on a desperate mission for his dying brother and returned, blabbering about a war and powerful beings. The prince had somehow managed to convince the Overlord, gathered a brave (and suicidal) army and marched back up the mountain. Then he had disappeared again with his whole army. Not a single soul was found in the mountains for three days. When the prince had reappeared with his army, the lands had rejoiced. They thought they had lost both their princes, for if Kalthu had not returned, the little jaav ukon was doomed as well.

Kalthu had brought back hope, crucial information and a traitor.

After the prince had given a full report to the Overlord, he and his warriors were sworn to silence. Thus, the mountain's secrets remain unknown. No one knew where he had gone, what had transpired or how he had managed to survive. The traitor, the long lost Lord Commander Varbuk was tried for his crimes and beheaded for high treason. Apparently, Kalthu had produced irrefutable proof of Varbuk's wrong doings, which were only for the Overlord's and his councils' eyes and ears. Varbuk had cursed and laughed at them until he died.

After Kalthu's miraculous return, adventurous and curious orcs had tried once again to go up the forbidden mountain. If Kalthu could go and return, they could too. Rumours had it that there was a raging war somewhere, with lots of loot and spoils of war for the taking. They could fight and return with fame and glory too, just like the prince. Kalthu had probably broken whatever curse had gripped the mountain and swallowed whole healthy orcs when he went and returned alive. Sadly, those who ventured up after him were never seen again. They did not know the secrets of Portal travel and thus those who went through (random destination unless keyed-in) were lost forever.

The Imperial warriors had thus stood guard at the base of the cursed mountain, cutting off any escape route Sharak's spawn might take if and when she came down. They had orders not to return until they find her, however long it took. She was the Overlord's only hope for his young son and Mallarg, the Necromancer wanted full control over her.

The poor green villages only wanted to be left alone in peace. They did not care for politics and did not want to be caught in between the Warlord's warriors and the Imperial Warriors. Both factions claimed to be operating under the Overlord's orders. It was not wise to go against either if they wanted to keep breathing.