Chapter 110 - Frost Trolls Part 1

A cold calm silence greeted the smaller group. Snow and ice blanketed this challenge. Rivulets of sweat dried off cooling bodies. Blood and ichor froze sealing off wounds.

A quick check of the area proved no immediate threats lurked in the ice.

"A moment to remember and mourn our brothers," said Kalthu in a low guttural voice.

All the orcs bowed their heads in respect for their fallen comrades. Besides the Warlord and Captain, only thirteen warriors remained. It was enough to get the humans through and complete the mission, thought Kalthu. He would make sure of it.

The Witch's eyes glittered as she watched the exhausted Heroes and their friends recover from the previous gruelling challenge. She wondered if they were up to the challenges ahead. Should she give another hint? No, she would have to wait for another trigger word. Now, all she had to do was guide them and see them muddle through.

"Oh man that was seriously stressful," said Valentine. He took the opportunity to replenish his Health and Energy. His friends did the same. Lazarus poured a vial of purple liquid down Anya's throat. She licked off her white muzzle as the wounds on her body closed and her fur regenerated making her whole again.

"Here." Lazarus threw some bottles at the warriors who caught the tiny containers deftly. "It will help heal your wounds."

The Captain held out his vial and downed it in one gulp indicating that he trusted the ghost lord's good intentions.

"They are jauk," Kalthu reminded his warriors as he too drank and began healing. Hastily all gulped down their potions. Kalthu did not fault them. Although they had all grown with various versions of the ghost lords' legend, all had ended the same way, total destruction of all they knew. The centuries old enmity and prejudice against the destroyers was hard to dismiss.

"You shouldn't give them all your potions. You need it more than them," said Valentine worriedly. The Thief frowned as he noticed the Assassin shivering again. Laz had only been warm in the sweltering heat of the Field of Corpses.

"We wouldn't have gotten this far without their help. I can always get more from Isis."

"You mean buy more." It was a good gesture on Lazarus' part but he had to be practical too, thought the Thief. Those were just NPCs. The game was too real for comfort sometimes. "By the way, your arrows back there ..." Valentine jerked his head to the border, "what did you coat them with to paralyse the orcs?" It was bugging him.

"It's one of Isis' new creations. She said it would stop an orc long enough for me to run away or recover if need be. I did not know it would be so effective."

Ahhh, so the Assassin did not know. A wave of relief washed over Valentine. He knew it. He knew it. Lazarus couldn't be that ruthless intentionally. It was Isis' idea and not Lazarus'.

"Why?"

"Umm, nothing."

"Captain?" Valentine called the big orc. "That token you gave your warrior Krolock ..."

The muscled grey warrior shook himself. He had lost some good fighters and friends. "When he recovers and finds the token in his hand, he will return to the Stronghold. It means to return and await new instructions. Although he will not remember his time in here, he will know that we have not forsaken him."

"The Overlord ... will he spare Krolock for returning alone? Will he be branded a traitor or worse?"

The Captain glanced at Valentine with new respect, this puny being actually cared for his warriors. "Do not worry human ghost lord, the Overlord also knows what the token means. He is not only the Overlord, he is also a warrior. He will know that something has happened and any who survives will return to report if they can."