Chapter 124 - Fire vs Ice

Constantine stared out over the walls. All seemed peaceful but he felt uneasy. It was the calm before the storm. He could feel a change in the atmosphere, the build-up of tension was almost tangible. He clenched his jaw, no matter, he thought, he was ready.

"What do you see, Spell Caster?"

The Red Warlock turned slightly to acknowledge the powerful orc leader. No one could mistake his hulking presence.

"It's more like what I sense, esteemed Overlord. It is too quiet."

The battle experienced warrior nodded in acknowledgment. He knew exactly what the Ghost Lord meant. Both human and orc waited in silent camaraderie.

They did not have to wait long. Horns blared long and hard in the distance breaking the silence. The mournful sounds echoed loudly signalling the start of a new wave.

"Here they come."

"Ready?"

"I am always ready for battle, Ghost Lord."

The Overlord had redirected his warriors to defend the other walls. Only he, Jarrakg, the Captain and the Seer were here with the crazy human. The Overlord wanted to see what the Spell Caster was up to and Jarrakg was there for back-up. Unknown to the Red Warlock, Jarrakg had a whole platoon on standby. If anything went wrong here, the warriors would rush in upon command ready to defend the wall. The orcs were not going to rely a hundred per cent on the foreigner, not when their Stronghold and the jaav ukon was at stake.

There was no more time for talk. Howls, growls and fierce barks preceded the attacking smouldering demon hounds. Constantine glanced at the distant hill top and spotted Mallarg. He could deal with the canines but he had to think of a solution to stop the Necromancer. If not, Mallarg would continue the siege endlessly wearing them down. Suddenly Constantine frowned as a thought occurred to him, where did Mallarg get his Energy from? Any form of magic took a lot out of the practitioner and he kept up each attack for at least two hours. Another mystery that needed to be solved. The Red Warlock shrugged and put it at the back of his mind. He would figure it out later. Now he had lava hounds to destroy.

The orcs by his side were ready with their bows. The Overlord looked with interest at the Captain's enchanted bow. His report had included the enchantment the Spell Caster had cast onto their weapons, making their bows unbreakable and their supply of arrows inexhaustible. Kalthu and Nark had one too.

Jarrakg nodded readiness with a tinge of envy but recognised what a great advantage it would give them. The Captain was well trained and a very good shot. Nark too will make good use of his bow on the Western wall and the Warlord? He hoped that the Warlord would live long enough and come back victorious. He was sure Kalthu's magic bow would serve him well wherever he was.

"Wait for the Overlord," Jarrakg cautioned the Red Warlock. The Overlord had the honour of First Kill.

Constantine nodded understanding but kept his hands on the wall in front of him. The wall looked normal but now intense cold emanated from the solid granite. The Red Warlock had been working on the cold spell for some time. It was not easy to drain heat and infuse sub-zero temperatures into thick slabs of solid rock but he had done it with the help of the epic level 92 spell. The atmosphere on the parapet turned frigid.

This brutal realm was offering him a whole lot of circumstances in which to test out his arsenal of epic weapons and spells. There had been no such opportunities in the human realm. He had been purchasing and hoarding the over-powered weapons whilst levelling up. He grinned wickedly in anticipation. This was going to be fun. The lava hounds were in for a huge shock.