Chapter 65 - Recovery ... and a Favor

Aria shivered and rubbed her arms with her hands in the cold hospital room. She looked in amusement at Ash who was snoring on the couch of the private room. They had stayed with Jace all night after his operation. Only two visitors were allowed at any one time. He had still not come round.

Ms.Anderson had checked in on Jace before going off to check on her daughter and husband. Gwen had a cast on her and was on medication for the pain. Her husband was resting in another room, she will be back soon.

The teenage girl went to Jace's side. It didn't make sense but in the short time she had known him, she had come to care for him. Her group of friends now cantered around him, Chloe and Ash. Life had only gotten better and more interesting after she had met them. Slowly she had overcome her trauma and distrust of people in general. She knew she had her new group of friends to thank for that and her grandfather.

Brrr! The room was freezing. Carefully, she pulled the blanket over Jace's chest and placed his hands under the covers.

"Jace?" she whispered softly. "Jace, please be o'kay." She searched his face for a moment then sighed. She heard people who were unconscious would wake up faster if someone talked to them. She didn't know if it was true but it was worth a try.

"It might still be too early to wake up because of the anaesthetic they gave you for the operation. The doctors said you will be okay, you just need to rest." She paused peering into the youth's face. Nothing. "Umm, your dad and sister are okay. Ms. Anderson, I mean, your mum said your dad is recovering well and your sister has a cast on her left leg. You saved her, Gwen. I haven't seen them though. They are in other rooms."

"Your mum is pretty cool. I envy her. She is so strong and keeps checking in on all three of you. I wish my mum was like that. She looks a lot like you ..." Aria smiled," or should I say, you look like her."

Aria lifted her head to check on Ash. He was still sleeping soundly. So she continued her one sided conversation with Jace.

"By the way, I sent you more Resources in the Game. I'm sure you still need some. Your city is looking better, some buildings are up and your Keeper is busy sorting things out."

"This is crazy. People are after you in the game and people are after you in real life. I can help you in Orc Wars but in real life ... what can I do for you?"

"I know," she continued her monologue talking more to herself now, "I'll ask grandfather to pay for your family's hospital bills. Your parents have more than enough to worry about and you, well ... you may not be able to afford this expansive private room. I wonder why they put you in here and not in the normal recovery wards. It's big, spacious and private. I'm sure your parents want the best for you, but still, this is kind of overkill. I bet it's verrry expensive."

She did not notice his mouth quirking upwards.

"What else? If you wake up soon, I'll treat you to a special meal. I know you haven't eaten any home cooked meals for some time. I don't mean to brag but I do make a mean pasta. Even grandfather had seconds when I made it the other day," she said smugly remembering grandfather Jared's appreciation for her cooking.

"Promise?" a voice said softly.

"Huh?" she looked down in surprise at Jace. His slate green eyes were opened and he had turned his head slightly to face her.

"Promise you will make me your famous pasta."

"Oh!" she blushed embarrassed. She had been rambling on more to comfort and distract herself from his condition rather than actually concentrating on what she was saying. She had not expected him to wake up. Her kohl lined dark brown eyes widened for a second before narrowing dangerously.