Chapter 24- Kirana's Orb Trial Part 1

"So, shall we walk in openly and pretend to do some trade or sneak in?"

The two Heroes were standing some distance from Kwan's city gates. His palace could be seen from where they were, it was lighted up like a Christmas tree in coloured lights.

Valentine looked pointedly at Lazarus and cleared his throat. "In case you have forgotten, I'm a Thief and you are an Assassin. I think I prefer sneaking in, don't you?"

Lazarus grinned. "Somehow, I knew you were going to say that."

"Then why bother asking?"

"I thought I'd pretend to be nice and give you a choice."

Valentine rolled his eyes. "C'mon. This is going to be fun."

They both quickly changed into simple garb, dark coloured tunics, pants and soft boots. They needed to blend in with the crowd. If they went in wearing their expensive clothes, they would stand out as Ghost Lords and would need a legitimate reason to be there. Failure would mean being caught and held hostage by Kwan.

Kwan had been known to hold caught Ghost Lords hostages to their cities, extorting them dry for gold and resources. The thug had held them captive in such a way that they couldn't die. Some players still held on hoping for rescue, others had abandoned their avatars, either quitting the game or making new avatars. Abandoned avatars who became empty useless shells were killed by Kwan, letting them re-spawn. By that time, the players would have moved onto their new avatars, not bothering to reclaim their old ones. Simtrixx would purge the lifeless avatars in time. Kwan did not bother keeping useless things around.

"Let's go."

The moon was bright that night. The two made their way to the city walls, keeping to the shadows. Guards were at the city gates.

"Two, three, four ... and another three or four in the guard house," Valentine counted. "Why does he need so many?"

"He is probably paranoid someone like you will pay him a visit and steal all his loot."

"You mean someone like you."

"Nope, you ... Shhh! Someone is coming."

Footsteps sounded, the gravel crunching under booted feet. Urgently, Lazarus signalled Valentine and they both scaled the wall. Pausing on top, they looked down to see a guard making his rounds. They moved again, jumping down the other side of the wall into the city, once the guard had rounded the corner.

They made their way stealthily to the gaudy grand oriental styled palace. It shone like a beacon, luring people and creatures desperate for precious goods, special services and elusive information. Soon they reached seat of Kwan's power.

Lazarus took out two big bags from his Inventory and handed one to the Thief. He had come prepared.

"Here. Follow my lead and let me do the talking."

They both covered their faces with dirty rags, hefted their bags. Then they stepped out boldly, mingling with the crowd until they reached the palace gates.

"Halt punks! What business do you have here?" A bored guard stopped them, waving his spear in their faces.

They both stopped, pretending irritation at the delay. Valentine hunched down hiding his covered face. Lazarus stepped forward and growled in hoarse voice, "This is a special delivery for Kwan. Mind your own business soldier boy."

"Lemme see what you've got there or you won't get inside in this lifetime! And pull down your masks, I wanna see your faces."

Lazarus dropped his sack onto the ground and opened it. He took out a small bag of pink powder and lobbed it to the guard who caught it deftly. "Okay, okay, I get it. I know what you want." The assassin grumbled in a loud voice. "But I need to keep my nose and mouth covered, you understand. Don't want to be breathing in this potent stuff the whole journey or I'll be too high to remember my own name. You can keep this bit. If we are any later in delivering this stuff, Kwan will pull out all our teeth and shave us bald."