Chapter 112 - Brainstorming

The peaceful silence was broken by a sudden barrage of electric guitar cords. The heavy metal instrumental riff of a popular ballad assaulted the dark haired youth's ears. He groaned and numbly reached for his phone.

Gah, it had been only five minutes since he had logged out and the Nut was already calling. He must have given them quite a scare logging out so suddenly.

"Hey ..." Jace croaked. He needed some water for his parched throat. They had been playing for hours.

"What do you mean 'Hey?' I'm freaking out over here! What happened? I had to actually check if you had died, you disappeared so suddenly!" came Ash's aggravated voice over the line. "Did you roll off the cliff or something?"

Jace gulped down some water and immediately felt better. He walked around his small studio room stretching and perched on the windowsill. Gods, it felt so good to be warm and pain free. "Sorry Ash. I had to get out, I didn't have time to tell you."

"What happened?"

"I'm not really sure but I guess Laz is now officially in the next stage of the poison. The pain was incredible; my skull felt like it was going to explode. I had to logout."

"Oh ... that's not good. How long does he have?"

"Before he goes mad? I don't know."

"Hmmm, he doesn't seem to have much time left. You were already cutting it close in there. I know your max is twenty but noticed your HP was below ten per cent most of the time."

"It's pretty scary and exhilarating at the same time; keeps me on my toes."

"Crazy idiot," Ash mumbled. "Well keep it above ten or all my hair will turn grey and fall off!"

"Val will look really weird bald," laughed Jace. "Besides, It takes too much time to drink a potion every few minutes of gameplay. I'd rather fight in the time I've got left."

"Seriously Jace, Laz is turning me into a worrywart. Drink!"

"Yeah, o'kay." Jace sighed, "Hey, take a break, I need to contact Vera and stock up on potions, then we will continue tonight if you don't have any plans. I want to get through the last ring of defence before Laz loses it completely."

"In case you haven't noticed, it's Saturday night. Some of us have real social lives," Ash grumbled.

"I'll make it worth your while if you help me tonight."

"I doubt it."

"Fine. If you don't want to have another round of heart stopping action, be my guest. I was thinking of a slumber gaming night with everyone. It would be better for someone to monitor us when we go in next ... but if you are not interested ... I'll just call Lorenzo and the rest of the gang."

"Everyone?" Ash asked thinking of the last slumber gaming night. "Chloe too ...?"

"Yeah, Chloe too. I wonder who you will be going out with since Chloe will be gaming with us."

"That's sabotage!"

"Have fun on your date."

"Shut up. I'll be there with my gear at seven."

-----

Jennifer Anderson smiled when she heard the doorbell ring. Finally, Jace was here! It had been such a long time since she felt this happy. After Jace's surprise call late afternoon, she had been in a frenzy getting the 'stuff' ready. It was a wonderful excuse to call Gwen over too. Mother and daughter had taken a rare day together. They had gone shopping for foodstuff, cooked and gossiped about simple things; the main topic being Jace's 'slumber party' ... and with girls too!