Chapter 14 - Lucifer

A loud jingling of bells at the front door announced the customers. Ash and Rose walked into the cool interior. Computer games of all kinds were being sold. Gaming accessories and spare parts were arranged neatly on shelves and cases.

Business was good. Steven was busy attending to a group of teenagers and did not see who walked in. A store assistant approached them.

"Hi, I'm Amanda. How may I assist you?"

"Hi. We are just browsing, thanks." Rose smiled at Amanda.

Ash asked, "Is that Steven, the store Manager?"

"Yes, he is the owner here. Do you want to talk to him?"

"It's okay. We are in no hurry. We'll wait for him to finish."

"Okay. Call me if you need anything." Amanda waved and went over to help a man who was looking at gaming consoles.

Steven finally finished with the group. Ash peeked curiously. They had bought 'Orc Wars' and had been asking for tips. The game was really popular and was flying off the shelves even at it's current high price. They went out talking excitedly among themselves. Newbies, Ash grinned.

He went up to Steven.

"Hi, I'd like to buy 'Orc Wars', I heard it was a cool game."

"Yeah, it's an awesome game ... Aaarrrhh!!" Steven yelled in fright as he raised his head from the register and saw who it was. He recognised Ash.

"Nice to see you again Lucifer." Ash took a step forward and leaned over the counter menacingly.

"Now, now, Ash. I-it was just a game," he stammered. "I was testing variables, you know? I didn't mean for it to turn out like that." He retreated until his back hit the wall behind him which wasn't very far.

"Testing? TESTING!! You knew what the game meant to us!" Ash hissed.

Several people glanced their way.

"Shhh, don't make a scene. You'll scare away my customers!"

"You betrayed us and almost got us all killed. We could have been eliminated. And you went over to plot with Varbuk?!" Ash almost snarled.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry man. I wanted to see what my avatar could do and see the other side's  perspective. Those NPCs are really smart! Did you know they auto-learn from experience and interaction. Their algorithms are amazing ... when the orc ..."

"Steven ..." Ash cut him off impatiently.

"Yeah, yeah I'm sorry okay? I'll make it up to you guys if I could but Season One is over. I died and I didn't even get to see what weapon hit me. It was amazing, no traces was left, just a flash and boom I was dead."

Ash grinned, "I know. Shot with a light bolt."

"You? You killed me?" His charcoaled eyes widened.

"You betrayed us. I had to get you." Ash shrugged and grinned. "By the way, thanks for helping me complete the Kill Hero quest."

"You're welcome I supposed." Steven dropped his voice, "Does that mean we are even? You didn't come here to rat me out did you? If people knew I was Lucifer, they would hate on me. Business might suffer."

"C'mon. I'm not like that. We're even. I wouldn't dream of making trouble for you in the real world."

Steven sighed in relief.

"... but you and her. You guys are not even." He pointed to Rose.

She looked familiar. Steven was positive he had seen this pretty girl somewhere.