Chapter 54 - Grave site secured

Lazarus's city had become a war zone. The enemy Assassins fought their way to the hidden groove. They left any resistance units not in their way strictly alone. They had one mission and one mission only; to secure Lazarus's grave. Frostblade (Paladin), Phoenix (Paladin), Scarecrow (Thief), Drifter (Thief) and their armies would clear their path and be fodder if need be.

The Paladins and the Thieves had their hands full. Their Infantry and Calvary units fought bravely against the Beasts waiting for them in the city. Lazarus' crafty Battle Master had waited until most of them had entered the court yard before unleashing them. There was no turning back. Still, the gatekeeper's 1,500 hybrid Beasts and balance 4,500 still active fighting soldiers in the city were no match against the 30,000 invading mixed units. However, they were extremely well trained. They all died killing as many as they could.

Frostblade searched for the gatekeeper. Lazarus should have re-spawned by now. If he was in the city, it was his mission to capture and hold him prisoner until the Assassin teams could secure the grave site. Then the ultimate order would be carried out.

The Paladin scanned the area. Isis was nowhere to be found. Intelligence suggested she was somewhere on the high walls but none had spotted her. Dimitri, Lazarus' Battle Master was in the thick of things swinging his battle axe expertly. He was a force to be reckoned with. He fought among the remnant Infantry and Calvary units. The large man yelled constantly, directing the Beasts against the invading force. He did not have to, the fearsome hybrids knew what to do, but he did so anyway. The fighting around him was fierce. Both the enemy and resistance exploded as they clashed.

Frostblade returned his attention to locating the missing gatekeeper. Where was he? He was distracted when a griffin (Beast) noticed him and suddenly pounced on him. The griffin had an eagle's majestic head and it's sharp claws for its front legs. A muscled lions hind quarters and tail made up its back portion. The ferocious hybrid roared as it swiped at Frostblade with its wicked looking talons. The Paladin jumped back avoiding the sharp claws.

The Hero's great sword came out of its sheath in one fluid motion. He swung it bravely at the creature. The griffin flapped its huge wings, sudden gusts of wind buffeted all around. He staggered back and managed to keep his balance bracing against a pillar. Several soldiers nearby were caught off guard and were slammed against the wall.

The Paladin rushed the griffin, diving to the ground at the last second to get underneath at its exposed underbelly. He twisted frantically as the hybrid's sharp beak bore down on him. He did not duck fast enough. The griffin's deadly beak pecked at the paladin, gouging metal and flesh.

"Aaaaaahhh!"

Frostblade, Health 69 per cent

Damn! The monster was fast. He rolled out of the way clutching his bleeding shoulder. His steel plated armour was missing a few pieces of shoulder plating. Ignoring the pain, he got up. Raising his sword, he charged bravely, slashing at the Beast.

A few men had noticed their lord's predicament and ran over to help. The surrounded the Beast, attacking it from all sides. Frostblade yelled a battle cry and charged. His strong muscles flexed and bunched up as his blade sliced through feathers, fur and flesh.

The creature reeled back on its hind legs, flapping its wings, its front eagle legs clawing wildly in the air. It bleeding front body lifted up high as it roared in fury and pain.

"Shoot! Shoot!" Frostblade yelled at his archers. Immediate a volley of arrows struck the injured griffin from all sides. The paladin covered his eyes as exploding sparks covered the area. The griffin was no more.