Chapter 76 - Prophesy

After the devastating news of Sharak's death, Lazarus decided to find the nearest village. Maybe the Banished One had an apprentice who he had taught or maybe there was another orc who knew the poisons like he did. The main thing was not to give up. He had fought so hard to get here, it would be such a waste to give up now. Lazarus stole a glance at Anya. He could not let her die permanently. There must be a way to save her.

Valentine and Kasakh, the half-grown orc followed behind the group. Tania trailed alone behind them, taking rear guard duty.

"Why were you hiding?" Valentine asked the orc. "Is there danger near here?"

Although she was still young for her kind, she was already slightly taller than the Thief next to her. She was also physically stronger than any of the Heroes, but she had no thoughts of running away. They had strange powers, they could get her safely back to her own mountain on the other side of the valley. Kasakh glanced sidelong at Valentine.

"I was being chased."

"Chased?" By who?"

"The Imperial guards ..." she lowered her voice in fear.

"What?!" Valentine grabbed her arm roughly forcing her to halt. "Why? What have you done? Why are you running away from them?" He glanced around fugitively almost expecting nasty warrior orc guards to pounce on them. That would not be good at all, she could stall their mission. Kasakh could get them all killed, wasting XP and time.

Black beady eyes glared at him in defiance. "Nothing! I have done nothing wrong." She broke away from him and went to Tania in a huff. The huge tawny wolf would make better company than the accusing human even if he did have the supply of delicious meat. She had befriended the two big wolves taking them for pets. They were a good size, soft and furry, a novelty in these parts.

Lazarus half turned at the outburst but did not slow down his pace. He made a subtle gesture with his hands. Anya fell back to join Tania and Kasakh.

A few minutes later, Anya's voice sounded in his head. "Chosen?"

"Can you talk to her?"

"We can talk to anyone we like," came Tania's haughty reply.

"Ah, a three way? That's good. Is Val in the loop too?"

"Yes, but a different loop. One loop with us and the green one, another with my chosen, you and Xico's chosen. We don't want to scare her with too many minds together. It's her first time talking this way."

Lazarus smiled at her description. "O'kay. Ask her why she attacked me."

"She acted on instinct. She thought you were a monster. Only monsters come out of the sacred cave."

"Sacred cave? Oh, the one which held the Portal."

"Ask her why is she being chased?"

"O'kay."

Valentine had joined them when Kasakh had abandoned him. The Assassin and Thief exchanged looks. It was up to the familiars now to get some much needed information.

Xico flew overhead checking the surroundings for danger. They travelled in apparent silence for a while. The familiars were talking to the orc.

Suddenly, Lazarus stumbled clutching at his chest. He stopped, gasping for breath as Valentine caught and steadied him. The Thief lowered his friend down to the ground while the Red Mage stood guard.

"Chosen!!"

"No, Anya. Stay with the orc. Val and Constantine are here."

"Hey! You o'kay? We can stop here to rest for a bit." Valentine said worriedly remembering his own experience of the poison's devastating effects.