Chapter 34 - Ambush

The next few times Jace logged into virtual was to study the cursed saber. He would stay in his Ghost Lord's chambers scrutinizing the intricate design, stroking the powerful weapon until the minimum contractual virtual time was up before logging out.

Sometimes he would sit in the shade of his favourite tree, the beautiful purple, green and blueish leaves rustling in the soft breeze above him. Once in a while, a coloured leaf would float down gently, adding to the rich coloured carpet of leaves around him. The tree did not bear any flowers or fruits as far as he could tell. He would sit quietly, holding the saber recharging his health as he watched Pixel and Anya play. Most times he would simply space out, lost in melancholy thoughts until the wolf or the horse nudged him.

Nyx the stalker would also come around. As he didn't want to talk, she would often sit quietly next to him keeping him silent company. Sometimes she would talk to him and sometimes she would talk to herself or have a one sided conversation with Anya. Although he remained silent, she knew he listened to her. She had caught him almost smiling a few times at her monologues. She wondered if she disturbed him but she could not bear to leave him alone. After all he had taught her so much and helped her level up, the least she could do was not abandon him now. He seemed so lost.

She was worried about him. He was devastated and depressed. She wondered what she could do to help but in the meantime she would be here if he wanted to talk. As long as he didn't chase her away, she would stay by his side. No, she corrected herself, he could try to chase her away, she thought grimly. She could be stubborn too. If only he didn't look so sad.

It was a few days later when they were sitting amiably under his favourite tree when it happened. A shout rose and some players came running towards them.

"Found him!"

"It's really him. It's Lazarus!"

Nyx looked up in alarm. What was happening?

"Quick, catch him before he gets away."

"Here. This way. He's over here!"

Nyx got up and pulled Lazarus. "Laz? Hey, I think we should go. Those people are freaking me out."

Lazarus glanced at her, then at the players who were gathering. He sighed. Not again. He had seen Simtrixx's video and was aware of the frenzy it had caused. He had already fought off several attempts to assassinate him. Unfortunately, they would not listen to him when he tried to explain, so he had given up and killed them.

More were searching him out for the supposed bonuses. He tried to avoid them but couldn't hide from all the players. Hopefully they would learn when they lost XP points for nothing and the word spread. Damn Althea and damn Simtrixx. Since that day, he was being hounded all over the realm. They would not leave him alone.

Lazarus counted, there were five, six ... seven players. He got up and stretched.

"Stay back," he said to Nyx.

She looked at him. "You sure? They are all almost level 50. I can help."

"No worries. I got this. I need to ... work off some energy."

"Okay," she trusted him. He could handle them. She stepped back but stayed alert, just in case.

Lazarus went into battle mode. His grip on the saber's hilt tightened as he waited.

They approached him boldly but stopped just out of range. He stood his ground, just like in the video.

"I'm going to say this only once. Leave me alone or die."