Chapter 144 - Mess

The orcs at the Stronghold looked up at the darkening sky. Blinding lightning streaked and flashed repeatedly, outlining the edges of impossibly huge clouds before disappearing back into pitch black. Thunder boomed deafeningly overhead. Coupled by the unusually loud cracking and sizzling streaks of forked lightning, even the most hardened warrior jumped in fright. It seemed too close to the ground. Shouldn't it be further away, higher in the sky?

Then the Heavens split. A crazy mix of rain, sleet and hail poured out in torrents. The wind picked up momentum becoming gale, blustering and wailing around the fighters. In minutes, everyone was thoroughly drenched and cold.

The sudden unnatural storm became a blizzard easily putting out the smouldering menacing enemy.

Fire, heat and smoke were replaced by freezing cold rain, sleet and steam. The lava hounds were no match for the new threat they could not fight. But worse of all there was no escape. Some ran and made it to where the Rift had been but they were sorely disappointed to realise there was no escape. Vicious snarls and barks turned to piteous whines.

Canine bodies hardened to solid rock as molten lava blood cooled. Some became statues but most simply imploded violently.

In the distance, the orcs saw three figures emerging from the gloom. As the magical thunderstorm raged around them, the shapes took on human forms. Constantine, Lazarus and Valentine struggled through the downpour and tempest towards the Stronghold.

The legendary human Ghost Lords had survived.

They had returned triumphant.

They were in bad shape.

Lazarus staggered forward making slow progress as he leaned heavily onto his friends. They supported him hanging onto one arm each. The Red Warlock was slightly better but he too stumbled in exhaustion and Valentine was limping badly. However as the trio neared, they straightened, their posture improving with every step they took. By the time the Heroes reached the orcs, they had almost fully recovered.

Tales of the Ghost Lords miraculous recovery would be told to future orclings by those who witnessed it that day. Truly, they were invincible. Today was a historic day indeed; the fabled immortal humans had vanquished the packs of demon hounds by controlling the very elements! They had also closed the Rift, thus, saving their Realm from the schemes of Mallarg, the powerful Royal Necromancer.

Now the only thing left for the Ghost Lords to do was to save the jaav ukon. That would seal their status as Godlike to the orcs, failing which the jubilant expectation would probably turn ugly very quickly.

"Overlord," greeted a drenched and shivering Constantine.

"Red One, you survived," replied the Overlord, his massive maw splitting into a huge welcoming grin. It was frightening to see.

Kalthu stepped forward, "Lazarus and Valentine too. Welcome back."

"G-good to be back," quipped Valentine through chattering teeth. Lazarus smiled and nodded. He was shaking too much to say anything.

"Let's all get inside, out of this rain."

"OPEN THE GATES!!!"

"THE HOUNDS HAVE BEEN VANQUISHED!"

"Open the gates!!"

"Let the Overlord in!"

A victorious roar went up in the Stronghold. The orcs and humans trouped into the Stronghold as the gates opened wide and the portcullis cranked up to allow access.

-----

Thalasis and the Witch were having a heated discussion over the jaav ukon. They had to advise the Overlord on the next step to save the orcling prince but they had a problem. A huge unexpected problem. The algorithm program for the Lifestone mission had two options. Because of his unique position, the Dark One had messed everything up and now they did not know what to do.