Chapter 46 - Stalling Lazarus

Jace looked at his phone. Eight missed calls from Rose and numerous messages. He swallowed  hard. The dull ache in his heart he had so carefully buried flared up once more. She had cut him off and let him suffer, now she wanted to get back together? Who was she kidding? Did she seriously think he would give her another chance to hurt him again?

Nope, he answered himself. He was not that stupid.

Then why did just seeing her name hurt so bad?

Don't do something you will regret later. Don't be stupid, his brain warned him.

But ... I miss her, his heart argued.

Tsk, tsk, you fool. She did it once, she could do it again. Do you want to take that chance? You will just be setting yourself up again.

Shut up Brain, you know nothing.

You shut up Heart, you are going to hurt him.

No, I'm not. He has to forgive and forget. Love conquers all.

Love? What love? But yeah, you're partially right. He has forgiven her, now it's time to forget!!

That's not what I meant.

You had your chance, Heart. Now it's time for him to listen to me. Hey! Listen to me. Forgive, forget and move on. There are many other pretty, better, less fickle girls out there. If she didn't trust you in the first place ...

Shut up Brain. You're making him depressed.

I'm right and you know it. She promised to be by his side but words are only words. Her actions were what counted. At the first hint of uncertainty, she turned her back, fled and shut him out.

Shut up, Brain. I mean it.

I'll shut up if you shut up.

Resolutely Jace searched for Rose's number. He stared at it for a while before tapping on the screen. BLOCK NUMBER. No more contact. He should break it off cleanly. It was the right thing to do. He should move on. He was done.

Jace beat his fist against his chest over and over. The physical pain did nothing for the overwhelming internal ache festering inside. Finally, he held his head miserably in his hands. He was getting a headache.

---------------------------------

Aria sat at her lap top. She had logged into the special blog for gatekeepers fanatics. She wanted to check something out. If she wanted to know something about any of the five gatekeepers, she only had to search in here. The crazy fans picked up even the most minuscule detail of their idols, from the clothes they wore to their fighting styles. Some kept tabs on their cities, levels and achievements. Their histories were listed in chronological order. The pages were sectioned off for their Orb trials too. Whole videos related to that particular gatekeeper were posted under his/her name.

New Player members or enthusiasts could learn all about their favourite gatekeeper on this site.

There were hundreds of downloadable stills, GIFs and fan made wall papers. There were also fan art and fan short stories on the Hero.

Aria clicked on 'Lazarus'.

She wanted to know who Althea was. There must be something, a clue. That healer seemed to know Lazarus from 'before'. They had been close once, that she was sure of.