Chapter 20 - Dungeon 45 Spider Boss

Lazarus stood outside dungeon 45's entrance. Valentine was there waiting for him.

"Whoa! What happened to you?"

"What?"

"You look like you haven't slept in a week. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Let's go," Lazarus answered without explaining anything. He decided to talk to Valentine after he logged out. The effects of the saber was disconcerting.

Valentine gave him a surprised look, catching his weird tone. He gave a nod, understanding the situation at once. Some things couldn't be discussed ingame because Simtrixx was listening and recording. The assassin would fill him in later. He knew his friend well. He trusted him.

"Let's go. You are going to love this one."

"Why?"

"It's full of spiders ..."

Valentine groaned. He hated spiders. They were icky little creatures with way too many legs, he shuddered.

"I hate you."

"Wait until you see the big bad hairy scary Boss ..."

"I really, really, seriously hate you sometimes."

Lazarus rewarded him with a half-smile. "I know."

The two Heroes moved cautiously. The dungeon was set in a dense forest. It's dark and gloomy surroundings could be hiding any number of monsters. It was cold too, white mists drifted shrouding the area. Valentine shivered and gripped his sword tighter.

They heard skittering sounds. It came from the left, no right ... it was behind them, Valentine whipped his head around following the sounds. Lazarus stopped and slowly looked up. Valentine gulped and followed his friend's gaze.

"Damn it!!" Valentine jumped back in fright drawing his sword.

It seemed like the tree tops were watching them. Little red eyes glowed and blinked at them from the dark shadows above. There were so many of them. The skittering sounds grew louder as the eyes moved closer. The unsettling noise were made by the spiders' numerous feet as they moved among the branches towards their prey. The chittering and faint metallic clicking were made by their mandibles. They were dropping silvery white lines getting ready to jump down.

"Steady," Lazarus whispered.

"Seriously Laz, I hate spiders ..."

"Move to your left slowly. Don't be afraid, dear, I'll protect you."

The Thief snorted. "You can still joke at a time like this," Valentine grumbled helplessly as he moved to his left. "Did I tell you that I hate you?"

"Yeah, you did, several times." Lazarus flashed his friend a cheeky grin as he loaded his favourite ebony bow. "Auto reload quiver," he whispered the command. "Here they come!"

Valentine jumped and slashed at the lines, attacking the brave monsters that dropped first. Lazarus released his arrow and a monster fell. Quickly he aimed at another and another. His hands blurred as he hit one target after another. The spiders fell from their lines, bursting into bright sparks as they died, lighting up the gloomy forest.

The area around them was bright too. Valentine was expertly disposing of any monster that dared come near. His sword flashed at top speed, cutting, stabbing and slashing. Little steel blades and darts flew in the air killing those further away.

The spiders shrieked and lunged at the two Heroes, their sharp little mandibles clicking in an agitated state as they attacked the humans. Most died, some had their long hairy legs severed from their thick spiky black bodies before disappearing into the background in retreat. They soon regrouped to attack again.