Chapter 22 - Quandary

Nyx, Assassin Level 57 had just met her idol, the elusive gatekeeper Lord Lazarus, Assassin Level 76, face to face but her meeting with him did not go as planned. She had not even told him half the things she wanted to tell him.

Her first impression of him was that he was a warm charismatic person with a charming personality. The playful sexy Lazarus who had spoken to her at the Assassin's Path was so different from the person who had just turned his back on her to walk coldly away.

Why was her heart pounding so painfully? He was not known to be so cold and abrupt. He had acted weird and out of character. Did she feel hurt by his brusque manner? She sighed. She had made a mistake. Of course he would not like being followed, he probably thought she was some crazy psychopath stalker.

A thought popped into her head.

Oh! Her eyes widened in realization, maybe he thought she was stalking him to kill him. She was an assassin after all but he had let her go when he had recognised her. He had recognised her! He knew who she was or he would not have made the reference to his Orb Trial. She blushed.

No, that's not it, he was not afraid of her. He had turned his back on her and had casually walked away . No one should turn their back away from a killer, especially one who was level 57, unless ... unless ... she felt anger rising, unless he did not deem her a threat. Now, she felt a bit pissed.

Her thoughts and feelings were a mess. She was happy, excited and awed yet mad at him at the same time. She wrestled with her mixed feelings of embarrassment, frustration and confusion at being caught stalking by her idol. She groaned covering her flushed face.

Finally, her excitement of actually meeting Lazarus up close was too much. Oh my God, he was absolutely gorgeous and so fast too! His reputation was absolutely justified in her eyes. At her level, and being a skilled assassin, she could detect most players when they were moving about. But Lazarus had been so fast and quiet that she had not even heard him when he was but a few steps away. She had only realised he was there when she felt his sword at her exposed throat. She shuddered, remembering the feel of the cold sharp blade at her throat.

She really must Research her Speed and Stealth, she mused. She wondered what his Research levels were. Wow, even a brief encounter with the famed assassin had taught her a lesson. Nyx laughed, how to become a better assassin? Simple. Just stalk Lazarus!

Her thoughts wandered, jumping from her close encounter with death to the gorgeous Assassin. Nyx sighed dreamily. She was sure she had seen some black flecks in his sexy silver eyes or was she mistaken? Haha she laughed, another excuse to pull out his profile picture and the numerous stills of him for a close inspection. She had to share the exciting experience of meeting the mysterious Legend online and tell everyone that Lord Lazarus had levelled up again.

"Not a word of this to anyone or you will regret it." Lazarus's stern warning resounded in her head.

Okay, so maybe she will leave that part about his sword falling. She paused, but why did he let go of his sword? Was he hurt? He was injured fighting in the dungeon, did he not heal fully? Maybe that's why he was so short-tempered with her. What about Lord Valentine? Was the handsome Thief okay? The Spider's dungeon must have been as bad as everyone said. Then she smiled, but they had both made it out alive. Why was she so worried? They were both awesome.

She shook her head at herself, she shouldn't be so worried. It was just a game wasn't it? Lazarus could just take some health potions and recover completely. He was Lazarus!

Happy at having convinced herself that her idol was alright, Nyx logged out of Orc Wars and into the special blog dedicated by fanatical fans of the Orc Wars Gatekeepers.