Chapter 111 - Frost Trolls Part Two

The still cold air was deceptively serene. Nothing could be heard except the ragged breathing of the survivors.

Alerted by the wolf, everyone stopped to listen for more approaching trolls. Which direction would they come from? They did not have to wait long. Suddenly, the ground trembled. Something was shaking up the earth.

Lazarus head jerked up. "West."

Constantine nodded confirmation. He had taken a quick look at the global map. Red dots were fast closing in onto their cluster of green dots.

"So soon?"

"We better move as fast as possible across then," Lazarus said. "We fight as close as we can to the border of the Bello's next ring."

"Right. Let's go."

"Which way is the Bello?"

Lazarus threw the Witch a glance noting her subtle posture change when the question had been asked. She had unconsciously turned towards the Bello. "South!" the Assassin said without hesitation.

"You heard him." Kalthu signalled his warriors. "Move out!"

The odd group moved trying to cover as much ground as possible. However, the terrain was rough. Huge blocks of ice boulders and random sharp shards of ice jagged out at odd angles from the permafrost hindering the way.

"Anya, we need the shortest path to the next challenge. We will collect hearts on the way," Lazarus instructed his familiar.

"This way, Chosen."

"Follow Anya," the Assassin called to the others.

The white wolf took the lead, finding the best path for speed.

"Hurry! They are getting closer!"

Too late, the rumblings of the shaking ground broke into ear splitting cracks as ice broke free of the frozen ground. Snakes of ice shards appeared heading towards them.

"Incoming!!"

The Warlord took charge. "I want three groups! You two with me and Valentine. Captain you take those four! You three with Constantine and Lazarus!"

"But Sir, there are more than three coming this way!" An orc cried nervously pointing at the incoming streaks. At least seven were nearing them with more on the way.

"We take care of whichever reaches us first!"

"New strategy! Constantine!" Lazarus yelled urgently. "Enchant everyone's weapons!! We are going to need more than brute strength if we are going to take them down!!"

"YESSS!! Everyone hold out your weapons! I will make them hot, yes? We shall slice through them like butter!!"

With that the Red Warlock waved his hands summoning up the magical fire. The next instant, he flung out his hands casting his spell onto the assortment of weapons. Just in time, the first of the trolls burst out of the ground.

"Gwarrr!!" the Captain attacked it trusting his warriors to follow suit. The four assigned to him lifted their enchanted weapons and rushed in.

Two more trolls appeared. Kalthu immediately charged the nearest one with his flaming battle axe.

"We got this!" Valentine yelled. "Go get the other one!"

Constantine and Lazarus did not have to be told twice. Lazarus waited for the Red Warlock to complete a new spell which he hurled into the troll's face. The monster's horns and face melted away to leave a horrible hole in its huge head. It fell flailing wildly.