Chapter 55 - Lazarus secured

Lazarus and Nyx were tiring. Between them, they had managed a surprisingly high kill count. Since killing the warlocks, they had not stopped. NPC units and battle masters fell alike. The detachment that came to investigate the warlocks' death was dealt with swiftly. Some died not knowing what hit them. The assassins' arrows filled the air. None were wasted. Their XP count increased incessantly.

Nyx soon ran out of arrows. She switched to her long bow until it too ran out. She glanced at Lazarus. He seemed to have an inexhaustible supply. Auto-reload indeed. His treasury must be depleting at the incredible rate he was shooting. How rich was he? He must have gotten a lot from all the Trials and dungeons he ran, not to mention his high city production rate. Oh yes, he was also known to gather any Resources and Gold tiles in his vicinity, even when he didn't need it. Well, maybe not the Gold. Everyone needed Gold.

He had set up his city to be self-sufficient and profitable. It had flourished at an exponential rate. She made a mental note to ask him which Research trees she should focus on. She wanted to be rich in-game too.

The enemy forces were thinning but the resistance were being annihilated. Isis' and Valentine's armies had done the most damage but in the end, they could not withstand the huge numbers against them. Jinx's had disappeared some time ago. Her own army was being decimated, Nyx thought, the last few stragglers being killed off. Adam had ported back to safety at his home city as Lazarus had instructed. Dimitri too had similar orders. Fight until the last man, woman, machine and Beast. Then port to the safety of the Catacombs. Under no circumstances were they to risk their lives. Lazarus would not lose his Battle Masters. He needed their invaluable battle experience and training expertise. Soldiers could be replaced.

Nyx exchanged her now useless bow for a sword. She had no choice but to continue with close combat. She would join Anya.

The Familiar was happily biting and clawing without restraint. NPCs near her burst into pixels as she despatched them easily. Lazarus had turned her loose, allowing her to indulge in her heightened savage nature. Her home and Alpha was being threatened. Her wolf's instinct was to eliminate those who did so. Bodies disappeared in her path as she moved among the nearest units.

"I'm going in."

Lazarus hardly turned his head in acknowledgement to Nyx's statement. He was still targeting and loosing arrows at top speed. "I'll cover you."

"Okay, ughh ...!" Nyx jerked, her body straightening as a green glow shot out towards her. In one swift motion, Lazarus had turned and aimed his bow to the source. Isis! Green light flowed from her outstretched arms, enveloping the assassin next to him.

"You're next." The Priestess mouthed at him.

Soon the soft light around Nyx faded. It took only a few seconds.

Nyx, Health 100 per cent.

He turned back to the enemy, shooting a few more before he felt an incredible sensation. A warm comforting feeling infused him, filling him with vitality.

Lazarus, Health 60 per cent.

Isis gestured urgently. Why only 60 per cent? He shrugged and tapped at his chest. Poison. She grimaced and nodded understanding.

Lazarus smiled. Isis was smart and efficient. She made the best of the situation and did not dwell on things she could not control. She didn't know he was using his self-made bow. It was working, the runes he had carved onto the weapon was working just like the cursed saber. It helped his impaired recovery rate tremendously. With any luck, it would help maintain his Health levels enabling him to fight.