Chapter 127 - Valkyries

The others watched as Isis walked towards the West wall. Her two little loyal familiars scampered in her wake. She would make her rounds to the West, South and East walls curing all she could before making her way to the Infirmary as planned.

"Yes, we can manage here," called Kirana after her. "Do what you can. Good luck!"

"Take care, Isis. We will take care of things here," assured Nyx.

Not waiting any further, the beautiful but impatient Berserker became all business-like. "Now," she said turning her full attention to Constantine, eyes glittering in excitement and anticipation, "where are the lava hounds?" She hefted her ornate war spear suggestively.

Jarrakg drew in a sharp breath and blinked. The Ghost Lord was as battle crazy as ever, just like how he had remembered her. She was not afraid of the demon dogs. In fact, she was spoiling for a fight. What a warrior! What a woman! Her only flaw was that she was human.

"Down there. Thalasis and I stalled them a bit but they should be recovering now and ready for another go at us soon."

The Overlord nodded. "Yes. We should annihilate them now that there are a few more of us." He glanced at the West wall where his injured warriors were recovering quickly as the Priestess walked by. They ripped off the now useless bandages, cracked their knuckles, loosened muscles and gripped their weapons grinning wickedly. The Stronghold's defence was strengthening already.

"Right. We will make two teams. I want to go down there where it will be easier to finish off the remnants. Kirana, I and ..." Constantine looked at the orcs. Should he ask Jarrakg or the Overlord to join them? He was the strongest and best fighter but he was the Overlord. He shouldn't deliberately put the orc leader in danger, right?

"I will join your team," Jarrakg interjected gruffly. This was his chance to fight alongside the beautiful savage Berserker ... even if the other Ghost Lord was there.

"Good. I will fight with these two Ghost Lords." The Overlord sized up Nyx and Jinx in a few moments. "They are good fighters too. You and I will fight up front," he said looking at Jinx who was twirling her wicked looking staff. The Berserker echoed Kirana's dangerous aura. She definitely did not shy away from close combat. Nice, a good warrior indeed. "And you cover us with your bow." He indicated Nyx. She had the dark one's vibe, the way she held her bow was telling. He understood that the dark one had trained her somewhat, but each warrior had their own style.

"No problem. I will cover you with my bow and switch to close combat if need be," Nyx replied confidently. The assassin too was eager for some action.

"Kill as many as you can. The more we kill, the more Mallarg will have to summon in the next round. That will make him expand more Energies." Constantine grinned. "The demon realm might not even want to send anymore here if all their hounds keep dying without the offered rewards."

"What rewards?"

The Red Warlock shrugged mysteriously. "Demons don't do favours for nothing, you know. Mallarg must have struck a deal to lure them here. Maybe he promised them easy prey, yes? The fear and deaths of their victims usually feed them. It will not be worthwhile if they keep dying," Constantine's grin widened. "Shall we go disappoint them?"

"Yes! Let's go."

The two teams formed and trooped down to the courtyard. Jarrakg signalled a hidden squad forward, the standby orcs that was hidden and ready for action in case Constantine's spell failed. "Go up. Battle formation 3. Cover us. The Overlord is priority, understand?"

"Yes Sir!!" The scarred Commander beat his chest. He understood perfectly. Protect everyone but if the time came when he had to make a choice, everyone was expandable except the Overlord.