Chapter 91 - Experiments

The Imperial orc guards led the two Gatekeepers through a maze of hallways and down a few flights of stone steps. Constantine threw Lazarus a worried look. Not good, not good at all. Downwards was not a good direction to be heading in enemy territory. It might be a trap. The Assassin winked, keep your head, His crooked smile and confident demeanour said 'We are not helpless'. Lazarus was right. They were not helpless, they were awesome fighters and if all else failed, they could always port away, Constantine thought.

The Red Warlock had discovered the teleports still worked in the orc Realm. However, it only worked within the realm they were currently in. That meant they would be able to port to another location within the orc realm. Well, at least they had the means of escape. If all else fails, they could always log out and figure something out before logging back in.

Finally they came to a stop. The guards threw open a set of wide wooden doors and ushered the two gatekeepers into a musty chamber.

"The Banished One's work room," an Imperial guard announced before saluting and exiting the room. He went to join the other three guards stationed outside, leaving the doors open.

The Red Warlock and Assassin exchanged glances. The Imperial guards were keeping an eye on them, probably under Mallarg's orders. No matter, they had access to Sharak's works now. Communication did not have to be verbal.

Suddenly, Lazarus swayed and staggered over to the work table in the middle of the room. He lowered himself painfully onto the work bench, sitting down carefully. It would not do to fall over with the orcs listening outside.

"Hey, you o'kay? You don't look so good, my friend."

"Damn it," Lazarus muttered under his breath. He hated feeling so weak and vulnerable. Hopefully this attack will pass soon. Seriously, the seizures were becoming more intense and frequent. "I ... I just need a minute. You go ahead and start searching."

The Assassin closed his silver eyes grimacing to control the stabbing sensations in his chest. The severe constrictions were building up, making it hard to breathe. All at once the tightness exploded. Lazarus cried out in pain. Slumping over coughing violently, he gripped the table for support.

"Hey, hey Laz!" Constantine rushed to his friend's side. He cast a surreptitious glance at the door. The orc guards outside continued to stare straight ahead seemingly not noticing anything.

Lazarus wiped dark blood from his mouth and held up a trembling hand worriedly. His strength had all but drained from his body. The numbing pain in his chest was receding. It was replaced by the intense chills which had become a constant companion since Stage Three. He could barely move and was pretty useless at the moment. If the orcs decided to renegade on their deal and attack them in the chamber, he would be of no help at all.

"Your hands are so cold and ... Owww!! You are burning up!" Constantine snatched his palm away from Lazarus' forehead. The Assassin swatted away the Warlock's hand. "Stop that!"

"Constantine, I think ... I am going to log out for a bit," he said weakly. He would let Laz ride out the poison attack in 2D, then re-log in when he could regain some control of the avatar again. He felt hot and cold at the same time. The ice in his veins permeated his whole body making him shiver uncontrollably.

"Log out? And leave me here, all alone in the orc Stronghold, surrounded by thousands of blood thirsty, weapon wielding hulking orcs? In case you have forgotten, we are in the heart of enemy territory! Oh no, NO, no, no, no, my friend. Do not leave me here alone!" Constantine shuddered. "And what are you going to do if I die and can't spawn back here?"

"Don't be so dramatic. I know you can handle yourself. You are the great and mighty warlock after all, I just ..." Lazarus trailed off wincing at the pain in his chest as he doubled over and swallowed. The metallic taste of iron and rust was strong in his mouth. Ughh!