Chapter 61 - Back to Reality

Aria watched anxiously as first Ash than Jace came back to reality. The lights on their head gear dimmed and faded. Their motionless bodies came back to life as they groaned and slowly pulled off their gaming gear. Ash stretched his body and grinned.

"Woooohoooo!!" he whopped. "That was awesome!! We won!"

Jace sat up, running his fingers through his dark damp hair. He caught Aria's eyes, "Thanks for saving us."

Chloe was still having fun. The siege at the twenty player's cities was still on-going. It looked like it was not ending anytime soon. Now that Lazarus's city was cleared of the enemy, the outraged fans vented their anger on the attackers. Their names, levels and city coordinates were listed in capital bold red lettering on the gatekeeper's blog as 'Permanent Enemies'. Their crimes (attacking gatekeepers) were fully described (and exaggerated) under their wanted list. Attack at will, anyone and anytime until further notice(forever!!).

"Aria? Aria saved us?" Ash asked. "I thought those people ..."

'She called them over."

"Huh?"

"There is a blog. Chloe?" Jace called the engrossed girl to get her attention. "Show him."

"Okay," she smiled and waved Ash over to her screen. "See? This is our blog for gatekeepers ... " She tapped on her keyboard opening up a tab. "I'll show you what we have been doing while you two were in there ..."

Ash leaned closer towards Chloe to get a better look.

Jace got up. "I'm going to take a shower." Just then his stomach growled loudly. Aria stifled a giggle at his startled expression.

"You didn't have dinner last night and we have been playing for hours." She glanced at the time on her screen. "It's almost morning. Go shower then we can get some breakfast."

He smiled, then got up and headed for the bathroom.

Ten minutes later, he came out dressed in a simple T-shirt and black jeans. The girls were ready, having logged off after last minute good-byes and instructions. Ash had packed all his gear.

"C'mon. I know a great pancake parlour that's open twenty-four hours. Jace's treat, for saving his ass!!" Ash laughed happily at the prospect of free food.

"Hang on, give me a minute." Jace smiled as beeps sounded. The answering texts confirmed that Lorenzo and Sophia will be joining them. Vera will stop by for coffee on her way to work.

Aria and Chloe were excited to meet the other gatekeepers in real life. What a wonderful start to a new day!

They trooped out of the tiny apartment into the fresh morning air joking and laughing. They were in high spirits.

----------------

Silence.

Awkward, stunned silence hung in the room.

All the players stared at their screens in disbelief. They did not dare turn to face the Games Master or ask for further instructions. All they could do was to continue feeding their helpless avatars potions. That was all that was keeping their shields intact. The second they stopped, they would die and their cities destroyed; exactly like what they had done to Lazarus.

In fact, they would be worse off. Lazarus had to contend with only twenty of them ... and in the end he had help. They on the other hand had to face mobs of angry players who brought along their armies. Each Hero was attacked mercilessly. Their cities surrounded by angry players and NPCs. Those who were nearest attacked the shields with spells, arrows, spears and Machines. Some slashed at the protective force fields with their swords and hammered at it with battle axes and war hammers. Every hit was devised to bring down the only thing standing in their way to ravaging their enemies' sanctuaries.