Chapter 29 - Anya

Lazarus introduced Anya to everyone. The Keeper, Battle Master and the other NPCs accepted her and took it in stride that a wild wolf was to stay in the City. She was a big hit with the residents after the initial shock wore off and it was confirm she was no harm to those under Lord Lazarus's protection. The children all took turns patting her and feeding her tidbits.

Pixel had also accepted her ... sort of. The exotic dark brown stallion had sniffed noses with the wolf and snorted dubiously at the half grown predator. He had neighed questioningly at Lazarus ready to kick the pup senseless if she dared take a bite out of his human, but the human had only laughed and patted the wolf affectionately, then turned to thump the young stallion on his neck.

Well, if the human accepted that furry creature into the herd, who was he to say nay? When the herd stallion made a decision, however weird it was, the herd obeyed, even he who had a proper herd of his own. But Lazarus had a unique position. He was the stallion of the stallion, if that made any sense.

The wolf too seemed to accept the handsome stallion into her pack. If her Alpha wanted this awkward hoofed creature into her pack, who was she to object? Plus, he had that tantalizing swishy blue tail.

She mock growled at the stallion who promptly snapped back at her with his teeth. She jumped playfully out of the way and made a go at his fascinating beautiful blue tail. The horse pranced away, neatly saving his long tail from the naughty wolf pup. She gave chase and he cantered away, avoiding the fascinated wolf. Pixel nipped Anya when she got too close, making her dodge but she would come right back. The swishy tail was just too much fun.

Lazarus smiled at their playful bonding and settled under a shady tree. Alone, it was not long before he fell back into melancholia.

Nyx gasped from behind a tree. She was so lucky to have stumbled upon Lazarus again. She had just come to his City's location in hopes of seeing him, but to actually catch him out here on the plains was unexpected. Better keep a distance this time, he was a higher level assassin and she was not going to be caught by him again.

She craned her neck. He was sitting alone comfortably under a tree watching two animals playing. Oh! That must be the famous Pixel, the monster who Lazarus had saved from the orcs in Season One. What a beautiful animal, even from the distance she could see the majestic creature prancing about, flicking his iridescent blue tail teasingly at the white wolf.

Who was the wolf? That creature was new. She had come across several wild wolves, but not such a beauty. It had soft snow white fur. It was very fast too, darting in between Pixel's legs to get at its tail. It was so adorable. Was it a friend of Lazarus or a friend of Pixel? It was obviously not fully grown yet.

Her attention returned to the assassin. He was really lucky to have such wonderful creatures as friends in here. She would love to be associated with the awesome beasts. She wondered how she could befriend animals like him. Maybe she could ask him or send him a message. He was known to answer as many messages as he could personally.

Suddenly she tensed. Lazarus was coughing uncontrollably, clutching his chest. She could clearly see him heaving for breath, convulsing violently. When he doubled over spewing out blood, she moved towards him before she realised what she was doing.

Nyx ran as fast as she could in a panic. What was wrong with him? Was he hurt? She should help him. She skidded to a stop near him, not quite daring to go within sword range.

"A-are you alright?" she asked anxiously.

Lazarus had jumped up and whirled around at her presence, his back against the tree for support. In one fluid motion, he had his darklight ebony bow out, loaded and aimed at her. Although he had gone into battle stance, he was still gasping for breath, bright red blood trickling from his mouth to his chin. He was clearly in pain and was having trouble staying upright. His hand on the taut bowstring was trembling.