Chapter 63 - Rebuilding

Lazarus assessed the damage to his home gloomily.

One hundred per cent destroyed.

There was nothing left. His vast army had been reduced to fifty seven miserably units, who he immediately got Dimitri to send out Gathering Resources. Food. That was the most important right now. He had to feed his residents who were still safe in the catacombs. He would let them out only when he could get a shield up. It was too dangerous for them otherwise. There was still risk of another attack. There may be more players of like mind out there.

Fifty soldiers out Gathering, seven left stationed at the broken walls around the perimeter. It was not much of a defence. If an attack came, they would not be able to do much other than to sound the alarm. The Battle Master was more than busy scouting for piles of Resources and supervising the poor overworked fifty soldiers. They needed more manpower but that required more Resources. It was up to his Lord to prioritise their needs with whatever meagre rations they have.

Lazarus had instructed Adam (Battle Master) and Illia (Keeper) from his subordinate city to send as much as they could spare. Illia had immediately sent fully loaded carts to the main city. They would send more when the carts returned.

They were safe, their shield was still up, their production was okay. Adam had sent along one hundred soldiers, leftovers from the battle, transferring them to the Dimitri's command. They were training more soldiers too, they had more than enough resources to do so.

Lazarus had been debating with himself on what to repair first when Valentine appeared next to him.

"Hey!" the Thief greeted him. "Look what I brought you!" He jerked his thumb behind him.

"What? Oh Gods!" Lazarus stared at the clouds of dust that was rising from a long line of fully laden carts. It was headed towards his city. Resources!

Valentine grinned at Lazarus's dumbfounded expression.

"Gah, I wish I was playing 2D so that I can take a screenshot of your face right now."

"Val, I-I don't know what to say."

"How about 'Thank you'?"

Lazarus turned to the Thief and grabbed his shoulders tightly. "Thank you! You' re a lifesaver!"

"But don't you need them too? You have to rebuild your own army. Allegra won't be too happy without anyone to train."

"Don't worry. Training takes time and I've maxed it out. I've got more than enough to spare."

"You sure? You are not just saying that?"

"Of course! My city was not destroyed and productions are at maximum levels ... besides I want to help you rebuild as fast as possible so we can get on with the Crossing."

"Crossing? As in the Portal?"

Valentine grinned in enthusiasm. "Yeah, the Portal! You mean you didn't notice that I've levelled up?" He struck a dramatic pose. "I thought I look more heroic or something," he said laughing. "The battle was a bonus, it allowed me to kill gazillion NPCs and Heroes. I'm level eighty one now. I can go with you!!" he exclaimed happily.

"Seriously?"

Quickly, Lazarus checked Valentine's status.

Valentine, Thief Level 81.

If Valentine was Level 81 ... he tapped anxiously at his own stats.

Lazarus, Assassin Level 84.