Chapter 25 - Kirana's Orb Trial Part 2

Valentine re-spawned in his city and promptly ported to just outside Kwan's city after recovering from his 'death'. He sat for a while getting his bearings. Oh wow, it had been some time since he last experienced dying. He shuddered at the memory. It was still terrible. He shook his head, and that crazy friend of his had actually died four times, or was it five times for his Trial.

Althea would be okay. She was playing 2D and wouldn't have to experience the horrifying burning. He sighed. He wished he hadn't promised her not to tell Lazarus her identity. She wanted to tell him herself and surprise him. Unfortunately, their first meeting in the game did not go too well. Now things might get complicated.

He wondered if Lazarus was still alive. Was he still in there? He looked at the direction of Kwan's city. The amount of guards had doubled at the main gates. Emergency measures had been issued, the city was sealed temporarily. No one was allowed in or out until the intruder was found or killed. Inside, the place was bustling with activity as Kwan's personal army continued their search for the assassin.

Valentine smiled to himself. If Kwan was still looking madly, then Lazarus was alright for now. Since he couldn't get in, he would go get some experience points while he waited for news. After all, he too needed to level up to level 80 if he wanted to follow his insane friend over to the orc realm.

-------------------

Rose stared at her computer. She was upset. He had spoiled everything.

Valentine had come to rescue her and Lazarus had deliberately killed them both. Why didn't he just help them and shoot at the guards? Valentine was skilled enough wasn't he? And if Lazarus had helped, she was sure they could have escaped somehow.

She couldn't get over it. He might not have recognised her but to kill his best friend in cold blood was just plain mean. Why did he do that? Didn't he come with Valentine to save her, a fellow Ghost Lord who was in trouble?

That would have been so romantic. What the hell was wrong with him?

Also he had inadvertently wrecked her perfect score of not dying yet. She had not died in Season One and she had not planned on dying now either. He had ruined it all and she was only level 14, still far too early to have a death record. Damn him! Her perfect record gone because of him ... not to mention that he made her level down to level 13!

She had just started playing and was levelling up slowly. Playing on the flat screen was not as fun but it was still exciting. While nosing around, she had heard of Kwan's reputation, he could get anything and everything. Nothing was impossible. So, she had gone to see him, or rather Althea had gone to meet him to get some information.

Kwan had admitted that he had never heard of nauk-dzi vras, the orc poison Isis had told her about but he could find the herbs the Priestess was looking for to experiment with. The information would take time since it was as alien substance. He would contact his agents in the other realms for it. The rare herbs however could be found in their realm, but it was located in dangerous places not fit for humans to go. He would have to employ other creatures in his service to collect them.

She had almost fainted when he named his fee. If she had agreed, she would still be paying his price even after she levelled up to Priestess (Level 50). She had then tried to plead with him, and when that failed, resorted to her special Ghost Lord status. Unfortunately, that failed too. The NPC was a tyrant.

Althea had planned to find a chance to talk to Kwan again and convince him but Lazarus had spoilt it all. To think she was getting information to help him! Now, Kwan would never meet with her again or even if he did, there would be no chance to renegotiate any terms.