Chapter 66 - Being Lazarus

Ash was excited. He had just finished his hours for Valentine. Now it was time to go in as Lazarus. He rubbed his hands and exchanged his virtual gear for Jace's. Aria was watching with interest. She had also logged in on her laptop.

Jace had been so worried for Lazarus. Don't do anything weird. Don't go dungeoning. Don't do anything dangerous. Just sit in the ghost lord's chambers for the required time and log out. Be careful. Don't act outrageously. Don't blow his cover!! No one must know of the temporary switch.

Bah! Where was the fun in that? Seriously, he did not know Jace could be such a nag.

Ash had solemnly promised his best friend but then again there were a whole lot of things Jace had not specified. He wondered if was going to be as awesome as he thought. After all, Lazarus was a few levels higher than Valentine and being an Assassin was only second best to being a Thief.

"I'll be watching on the ipad," Jace warned.

"I know, I know. Don't worry. I got this covered. Go in, stay put, get out. No problem. Boring as hell but no problem." He grinned like a small kid about to be let loose in a candy store. "I'm going to be Laazzzzurusss!!"

Jace rolled his eyes. "Why do I have a bad feeling about this?"

Aria chuckled in amusement.

"Hey, no worries. I'm going to be a great assassin."

"Somehow that makes me even more worried," Jace muttered under his breath as he watched Ash gear up. Resolutely, he logged on into his ipad and waited for Ash to go virtual.

Ash rubbed his hands in anticipation.

User name

Carefully he typed in 'LAZARUS' at the prompt and pressed 'Enter'.

Password

Jace0317

Ash grinned. One would think that Jace could come up with a better password but then again it was so Jace. Simple and easy to remember if one knew what it meant. 'Jace' was Lazarus' real name and '0317' had been his player's ID in Season One. No one would know, how could they?

Link established.

"Yesss!!" Ash smiled broadly as the familiar zooming in graphics came on and he experienced the usual vertigo.

Lazarus spawned in his chambers and materialised in a dramatic pose.

"Ta-daaaa!!" he yelled to the empty room. "I'm back!!"

Immediately the chamber doors opened and two guards stepped in, weapons drawn.

"Who goes there? My Lord Lazarus, is that you?"

Lazarus turned in surprised, automatically dropping into fighting stance. The cursed saber that had appeared in his hands was pointed at the guards. It was the first weapon from the weapons menu.

"My Lord?" The guards froze unsure of their Lord's intentions. They eyed the dangerous blade warily.

"Oh, umm ..." Lazarus looked at his hand and the cursed saber. "Yeah, this ... umm. It's nothing, I was just, ah ... practicing." He swished the cursed blade a few times as proof.

"Yes sir, if you say so, Sir!"

"Yeah, I say so. You may resume your duties," Lazarus said more confidently. When the guards stalled, he waved at them impatiently. "Go on, shooo! SHOO!! And close the door behind you, I want to be alone. I've got very important stuff to do."