Chapter 30 - Aria

Jace was slightly better in the following week. He was still depressed and quieter than usual, but was more alert and not so glum. Ash was relieved. He had played Orc Wars like crazy just to level up and get the familiar. If he was eligible to get one, maybe Jace would relent and choose one too. He had read on Simtrixx's web page that they were loyal companions, just what Jace needed right now. A loyal Familiar would be good for him. It was a good plan.

Ash smiled. Tania was a joy to be with. He had tried dungeoning with her. She needed a little training but overall, she instinctively knew what to do and how to protect him. His golden wolf was fast and deadly, especially if he was in danger. She had risked her life for him on more than one occasion, saving him from dangerous situations. He had used his health potion on her to restore her afterward. He couldn't bear to see her in pain.

Tania also has a wicked sense of humour. If Anya was anything like Tania, Jace wouldn't stand a chance at staying depressed. If he did, Ash was certain Anya would find a way to forcibly drag him away from his misery. The familiars were unwaveringly loyal, sincere, naughty balls of furs. He counted on her. It seemed to be working.

In the real world, Chloe and Aria too had started hanging out with them whenever they had class. Aria had gradually formed an attachment to Jace, as Ash and Chloe were always joking with each other, unwittingly leaving her out. She would steal glances at Jace, studying his serious face, wondering if the rumours were true. Was he really broken hearted? Who in their right mind would break up with him? Whoever she was, she must be mad to have let him go.

She herself was content to sit quietly with them, sipping her drink and listening to Ash and Chloe while watching Jace. At least she didn't have to talk about herself. She had noticed that Jace didn't like to be touched. She understood how he felt whole-heartedly, she didn't like to be touched either. She shuddered at the thought.

A sudden thought came to her and she scrutinised the handsome youth sitting across her. He was staring into space again, lost in his thoughts. Did he hate being touched because he had been beaten like her? She had never known a soft touch, a hug or a gentle kiss. She had only known slaps, knocks on the head, punches and kicks.

Moving to a new place and coming to this school to start a new life had been a desperate gamble on her part. She had finally made the decision to leave her abusive alcoholic parents when she had been beaten senseless again. That time was different though, not only did Dad hit her with his fists and kicked her about as usual, but he had broken an empty beer bottle over her head. Mum had not notice her begging and screaming, finally collapsing onto the kitchen floor in a pool of blood. Mum had been in a drunken stupor of her own.

When Aria regained consciousness, she had been covered in cuts and bruises. She had been lucky not to have any broken bones. She had crawled from the kitchen floor to the living room, only to find both parents passed-out drunk on the sofa. She had cleaned herself up as best she could, gathered up her few possessions and savings, then fled cross-country, hitch-hiking to her grandfather's last known address. She remembered him to be a kindly old man, always with wonderful stories to cheer her up with. It had been some time since she saw him. He had stopped visiting after the big blow-up with Dad two years ago.

Grandfather Jared had no other family so he kept busy with his businesses. He was successful in his various businesses but was lonely living alone in his big mansion. He only had maids and servants to keep the place clean and cater to his minimal whims. He had taken her in, providing food and shelter to the daughter of his prodigal son. In return, she kept him company in the evenings when he was around. He seemed genuinely interested in what she did.