Chapter 3 - Lazarus's Orb Trial Part 2

"Oh my God! Jazebel's gone."

"That was crazy," Harlock said shaken. Jazebel was his best friend.

"C'mon, let's go. We have to keep moving. Who knows what else that maniac has in store for us."

"Nyx?" Azazeal called to the assassin in his group. "What else do you think Lazarus will do?" They needed some clues to Lazarus's twisted mind.

"We have to be light on our feet, fast and alert at all times. He tends to ... " She was interrupted by soft rumbling like distant thunder.

"What's that?"

The rumbling sound grew louder and nearer. Nyx looked up and blinked. The meagre sunlight was fading out of sight. It was being blocked by bits of falling earth and small stones.

"Falling rocks!! Everyone, take shelter at the sides!! Under the ledges!!" Nyx screamed just as large rocks and boulders started falling smashing everything in their path.

She instinctively dove to her right. The assassin tumbled and rolled several times until she lay under the ledge. She hoped the rest had heard her. She was aware of Azazel and Zetton. They had reacted immediately to her warning. Hopefully Harlock had also heard her and managed to get to safety.

Nyx covered her ears from the thunderous noise as tons of rocks and stones bounced into the valley. Everything around her was shaking. The ground was vibrating at the impact of the crumbling mountain top. She couldn't breathe. Dust, sand and debris were everywhere. Quickly, the assassin pulled up her scarf to cover her nose and mouth. Ahhh, that's better, now she could breathe a little.

She couldn't stay here. She crawled forward slowly under the narrow ledge. The assassin prayed fervently that it would hold. If the ledge broke, she would be crushed to death. She would then have to request the Trial again restarting the quest. She bet Jazebel had respawned and was waiting for them somewhere outside the valley.

Finally, the noise stopped. Only the sound of a few loose rocks settling could be heard. The fallen earth and boulders had totally sealed off her left, forming a tunnel in which she was cowering in. She was alive, frightened, bruised and bleeding from several cuts but alive.

Nyx saw a faint light ahead giving her hope. She continued her torturous crawl toward the end of the tunnel. Luckily she wasn't claustrophobic. It took several long minutes before she managed to haul herself out the end. What a relief to be out in the open again. She rested with her back against the wall.

"Hey!! Anybody made it out alive?"

Nyx sat up. "Here! I'm here!" she almost cried in relief to hear Azazel's muffled voice.

A shadow appeared out of the swirling dust forming her team leader. The Warlock crouched down next to Nyx.

"Are you okay? Can you stand?"

"Yes, yes I'm okay. Where are the others?"

Azazel's jaw tightened. "There are no others. It's only you and me now."

Nyx stared wide eye at the Warlock. "B-but, Zett got out of the way ... and Harlock ..." her voice trailed as Azazel shook his head sadly.

"Zett got hit by a falling boulder and Harlock ... he was buried while casting a protective spell. He should have gotten out of the way first."

Nyx's shoulders slumped. "We are not going to make it this time are we?"

"Hey, cheer up. At least we got a feel of the place. We will be better prepared the next time. Now, we have to get as far in as possible, okay?"