Chapter 74 - Team

The dark haired youth looked at the crowd in his hospital room helplessly. When Ash had finally informed the other gatekeepers that Jace was in hospital, they had rushed over to visit him. This was the last day to visit him here, he was getting discharged tomorrow. Luckily, the hospital allowed more than two persons in the room during visiting hours.

Now, Jace gazed at their overly excited and eager faces. He felt conflicted, what they had asked of him was too much. He could not, would not take advantage of their generosity. He ran his hand through his hair yet again. It was too dangerous he decided.

"No," he said softly.

Immediately he winced as he was bombarded with indignant protests by those around him. Lorenzo was the loudest.

"Why? Why not?" Lorenzo waved his hands in the air dramatically. Tell me, tell meee, my friend."

"C'mon Jace, don't be like that. We need all the help we can get in Orc land," Ash chimed in.

All five players glared at him, four gatekeepers and one assassin who did not know she was to inherit his Familiar.

"Really Jace, in this situation I have to agree with them." Vera the most matured of them tried to rationalise with him. "It is not a burden to him," her eyes flickered to Lorenzo indicating she was referring to him, "and it is definitely not because he feels obliged to help you."

"Eeee-xactly, you must listen to Vera. She is right! It is no burden, no burden at alI. I want to go!!"

Sophia giggled at her brother. "Oh Jace, just let him follow you through the Portal already. I've never seen him so desperate for something ... except for Natalia's or was it Isabella's phone number, I can't remember."

"B-but I can't take advantage of him. I'm not going over to search for the Lifestone or complete the game's ultimate Quest. I'm going over for personal reasons. You have all done enough by sacrificing your soldiers in my defence during the siege. I am grateful for your help, for all your help that day. I can't ask for more."

Jace looked from friend to friend, he was at a loss. They had helped enough. After sacrificing most of their soldiers to help defend him, they had send over tons of Resources. He knew they had to re-train their armies too. Now, how could he ask his friend to follow him into dangers unknown? That would be too much, he had a conscience. To top it off, if Lorenzo's Constantine did follow him over to orc land, he would be searching for the cure to his poison. He would not get any bonus XP, gold or special Items from the LifeStone Quest. Furthermore, they would all probably die there several times. Anyone who followed him would be dying for nothing. He couldn't bring himself to impose on the Red Warlock.

"I'm sorry Lorenzo, I ..."

"Aiyayai-yaiya!!" Lorenzo jumped up from his chair, pulling at his blond curls in frustration. "How can I make you understand?"

Sophia nudged Aria and winked at her. "Your Jace is driving my Lorenzo cuckoo."

Aria laughed. "He is not my Jace," she protested blushing furiously, "but I think your brother is already crazy, but in a good and very entertaining way."

"Ahhh, you know so little of men. Jace is yours and you are his even if you two do not know it yet," she said smiling broadly. "Trust me, I know these things." She raised her voice so the others could hear her, "You better let him follow you Jace or I will not hear the end of it for days, maybe weeks!" She rolled her pretty eyes at her mournful brother then turned back smiling to the handsome dark haired youth. "Pity me, pleeeeese, Jace? Let him go with you. Do it for my sake, yes? I cannot bear to hear his grumblings."