Chapter 46 - James, On the Run

Yesterday afternoon....

James is in his office, just doing some work. Ever since he accidentally dosed Kara with almost the entirety of the remaining red substance, James has backed off and not dosed Kara's coffee at all. James actually thinks he is lucky in this regard, because he has heard through Winn that they all found out that Kara was getting exposed to the red substance that was making her angry when thinking of Lena. James was just relieved to find out that they had no idea that he was the one dosing Kara, and all they knew is that she must have ingested it at some point or another. So, for now, James is just putting a halt to using the red substance. James just hopes that what he has done thus far is enough, and Kara has directed enough anger at Lena that the two will never get back together, and never been in each other's lives again. Honestly, in this regard, James knows that he could have achieved two things. Firstly, Kara might have acted so angrily towards Lena, that Lena just will never want anything to do with her again, just because she can't trust Kara's rage and anger, even if she were to find out about the substance Kara was exposed to. Then secondary, James hopes that what he has done will mean that now that Kara is off of the substance, she just feels guilty, even knowing all the anger wasn't coming from herself. James knows Kara very well, and he knows that the guilt might just eat Kara up, and as much as she may want to start up her relationship with Lena again, her own guilt will prevent her. James just thinks that Kara will probably just believe that Lena is better off without her being in her life. That thought actually amuses James, because in his mind he believes it is the other way around.

Back in his office, James just continues to type away on his computer, just doing some boring CEO work, regarding finances and spreadsheets, nothing exciting. However, even though what James is doing isn't exciting at all, he can't keep the smile off his face. James is just overly happy that his plan went off without a hitch, and he achieved what he set out to achieve.

James then hears a commotion outside his office, which causes him to look up from his desk, out the glass doors of his office and into the bull pen. James looks on and sees that several members of staff have gathered around a few of the TVs out in the bull pen and are looking at the news. James gets a confused and curious look on his face, so he just grabs the remote off his desk and turns around, turning on the TVs behind his desk to various news channels. James spends a few moments flicking through various coverage, looking from screen to screen. James really doesn't know what has the other members of CatCo so interested. He is just about to stand up from his desk and go out to the bull pen and ask everyone, but that is when James sees one news network's headline reading "BREAKING: LILLIAN LUTHOR ARRESTED!!".

James goes wide-eyed, and gets a worried look on his face.

James continues to focus on the news station that is covering Lillian Luthor's arrest, and he notices that the people escorting Lillian Luthor from L-Corp are DEO agents. James gets a really bad feeling in his stomach. The feeling in James' stomach then gets worse when slowly every other news network he has on, on all the other TV screens, begin showing the same breaking news headline. Of course, some of them frame it differently, such as 'Breaking: Luthor Matriarch Arrested!', 'Breaking: Lex Luthor's mother arrested!' or 'Breaking: Another Luthor arrested!', but they all convey the same message, one that James just does not like. James knows that if Lillian Luthor has been arrested by the DEO, that could only mean that the DEO has traced the red substance back to her, which in turn means they will soon trace it back to him as well. James does think that there is the strong possibility that Lillian Luthor is being arrested for something else entirely, she is a Luthor and obviously a criminal after all, but even that doesn't give him comfort. One way or another, James knows that no matter what Lillian has been arrested for, he does not trust the Luthor matriarch to not expose him for what he has done to Kara.