| 8 |

Once out of the car I could hear Jungwon lock the car before walking over beside me, squinting his eyes from the scorching sun.

"Show the way Dora the Explorer," he commented making me just sarcastically snarl at him before getting my map out of my bag.

I quickly folded out the map on the ground and read over it to figure out what directions I'll have to walk in once in the forest. Even if I was pretty sure I could find the way no matter what. Better safe than sorry, right?

"You... mapped out the area?" Jungwon questioned and crouched down beside me, looking over the map in what maybe looked like awe. I mean just maybe! I'm not sure what that weird expression was.

"Of course I did... add new areas everytime I find a new stack of paper," I hummed and packed up the map again, shoving it into my bag, "okay. I got it now. Let's go."

Before Jungwon got a chance to say anything I had already moved over to the edge of the forest, before turning back around and looking at Jungwon. Holding up my hand to shield my eyes from the sun.

"Aren't you coming?" I called out making Jungwon just slowly nod before walking over to me and pulling out  his gun, "no guns in the forest. They attract the zombies. Use your cute little knife."

Jungwon sighed before packing his gun away and getting out his springblade knife before I happily hummed at him and walked out into the forest with Jungwon trailing behind me.

"It's not a cute little knife," Jungwon grumbled behind me, which I simply ignored. Can't even take a small sarcastic joke as soon as it's directed at him. How shallow.

Slowly I felt excitement build up in me again as I soon began seeing a few of my snares hiding around the trees, meaning we were close to my treehouse.

"Watch out!" I quickly exclaimed and pulled on Jungwon's arm, pulling him back to stumble into me as one of my snares went off, "are you insane?"

"Are you insane?" he clarified, "that could've killed me!"

"Only hurt you, you idiot," I rolled my eyes at him before pulling him along with me, "just put your feet where I put mine, okay?"

"You're an insane person Park Jiyeon," Jungwon commented as he began walking behind me.

"I'm a survivor, not an insane person," I corrected before stopping in my tracks and sighing at the grunting and groaning figure in front of me, floating just a few feet above the ground, a rope holding it up by its ankles, "well... he's new..."

"He looks like he's hung there for quite a while," Jungwon commented and I just shrugged before looking up at how the legs were tied together in a long piece of rope, hanging from a branch in a tree.

"I guess I just haven't checked in a while," I shrugged and continued walking.

Soon enough I could see the treehouse in front of me. It was actually more like a platform built in a tree than it was a house. I excitedly rushed over and crawled up my ladder in a few steps. I immediately looked through the box I had up there and grabbed the most important things.

"That doesn't look like vegetables and apple trees," Jungwon commented making me hush him immediately, "Jiy-"

"I said hush!" I exclaimed at him as I snapped my head towards him, making him immediately go silent, "look at the ground you idiot and begin digging the vegetables up. I need some things and then I'll go look for the tomatoes. Got it?"

Jungwon frowned up at me before he crouched down and began digging through the dirt, slowly revealing potatoes and carrots. As I got down from the ladder once more I threw and old potato bag beside him before he just looked up at me.

"Put whatever you find in there, I'll be nearby. Just yell for me," I stated and began walking a bit more in the direction of the glade where I planted the tomatoes. Just a bit more south from the potatoes and carrots.

I quietly stood in my own little headspace as I grabbed the small red tomatoes that my plant finally had grown. I was sure to listen out for any groans and grunts that I knew so well to be fatal. But what I didn't expect was the fact that it was not groans and grunts I had to look out for.

Soon enough a loud bang echoed through the forest and the tree beside me was hit by a bullet. I quickly ducked down and closed up my bag with tomatoes before beginning to run back to where Jungwon was seated.

"Yang!" I screamed out as I saw Jungwon, making his head immediately look up at me while I held up my arms to cover my head, "back to the fucking car!"

"Why? What ha-" Jungwon started as he stood up just in time for more shots to echo out and yells come from behind us.

"Just run!" I exclaimed at him and grabbed the bag he had put the carrots and potatoes in.

Jungwon immediately set into a sprint in front of me as I yelled out what direction he should run in, meanwhile we both tried to run in zigzags to not get shot. A smaller grin of victory spread on my face as I saw the convenience store in front of Jungwon and I. The car was close by.

"Get in the car fast as possible," Jungwon yelled back at me as he got into the driver's side and started the car.

I quickly rushed up after him and flung the door open to the passenger's side before quickly glancing over at the people chasing us. My eyes immediately widened and I jumped into the car, quickly throwing the bags over on the backseat.

"Drive, fucking drive," I hissed at Jungwon who quickly started the car and began driving off down the street.

"Who even was that?" Jungwon cried out at me as we got out on the road and the gunfires ceased to echo after us.

"The alliance," I sighed as I ran my hand over to brush my loose hairs over in my ponytail, "I knew they were roaming the area, they always do at this time of year. How stupid can I be?"

"Was that the alliance?" he questioned and I just nodded at him, "if they saw the license plate we are dead people."

"What?" I frowned over at him and he just shook his head.

"Pray they didn't see the license plate," he simply replied as I just turned in the seat and looked at him.

"Jungwon. Why would we be dead if they saw the license plate?" I slowly and sternly repeated making Jungwon let out a small sigh before the back window shattered with a loud shot.