Chapter 67 - Treehouse

Kara looks at Lena and gives her a warm smile, with both women now sat on the bed next to one another.

"So basically, we aren't really sure if Alura will get powers or not. Not only because she is only half Kryptonian, but because of her age." Kara explains.

"Okay.." Lena says, nodding her head, still a bit confused, "What does her age have to do with anything?"

"Right." Kara says, now nodding her head too, realising she hasn't explained the full extent of everything to Lena. "So, when Kal, my cousin, came to Earth he was a baby, and he didn't have any powers whatsoever. However, when he was about 13-years-old he started to gain some basic powers. From what he has told me, it began with his super hearing, and then the x-ray vision, and after that, slowly throughout the remained of his teenage years he gained more and more powers, with his last one being flight when he was 20."

"Wow." Lena replies, completely surprised by this all. "That must mean that the powers are triggered by some sort of Kryptonian puberty or something."

"Maybe." Kara says, "But it wasn't like that for me. I got here and had all those powers already. Although, I obviously didn't really test the extent of them. So, I'm not sure if like my super strength, or some of my other powers, increased as I grew up."

"Hmm, yes." Lena says, nodding her head once more. "You arrived on Earth likely after your 'puberty' had begun on Krypton, so perhaps things just worked differently for you because of that."

"Yeah, possibly." Kara replies.

"I do find it truly fascinating that during Kryptonian 'puberty' something must trigger that allows your body to gain these powers in some form. I mean potentially up until that point the Kryptonian body may just be absorbing the yellow sun's rays, and not allowing the Kryptonian to access their powers, as some way to sort of keep them safe. Or it may possible be an entirely different process, where puberty triggers a change in the Kryptonian's cells, which gives them their powers." Lena says, her mind now going a mile a minute with the scientific possibilities.

Kara interrupts Lena from her scientific thoughts by giggling. Lena in turn looks at Kara with a confused look on her face, not sure as to why her girlfriend is laughing.

"You're cute when you get all sciencey." Kara smiles.

"Thank you darling." Lena smiles back, "It's just, you have kind of shattered my understanding of Kryptonian biology."

Kara laughs again. Meanwhile, as Kara continues to giggle, Lena remains silent, lost in her thought, thinking about everything.

"Anyway, back to Alura." Lena eventually says, "I'm sure I could figure out some way to run some blood tests or something to see if she is going to gain any powers, and at the same time figure out the exact process which gives Kryptonians their powers during/after puberty."

"Uhhh, no. I don't think that is a good idea." Kara says, firmly.

Lena looks at Kara, and sees that her girlfriend has a stern look on her face. Lena now realises she has got a bit carried away, and has completely forgot to think about Alura as her daughter, and a person.

"I'm sorry, you're right." Lena says, "I got a bit carried away there. I don't want Alura to be my lab rat or anything like that, and she doesn't need to experience more medical stuff being done to her."

"Yeah." Kara says, agreeing with her girlfriend, relieved that Lena has realised the mistake of potentially subjecting their daughter to tests.

"Well, we will just have to deal with whatever happens to Alura when she hits puberty, whether she has powers or doesn't." Lena says.

"Yeah." Kara says, nodding her head, "But, if you don't mind, don't tell Alura about all of this."

"Alura doesn't know?" Lena asks, surprised Kara hasn't mentioned this to her.