Chapter One: The day

Clara POV:

All my life I've been treated fairly. Strict but fair. But today isn't fair.

I've been alive for eighteen years as of today. I've lived in this facility for eight of those eighteen years. For an unknown reason I was chosen to be moved to a private facility at the age of eight.

At the old facility there were three other humans, not including me. Here I'm by myself with just alien caregivers. I'm told I'm special, but I just think it's my looks.

I'm the last human alive with red hair and green eyes. The rarest combination even when humans still ruled the earth. I have a smattering of freckles across my button nose and plump pink lips.

I think it's ironic that I have freckles even though I've never seen real daylight. Even when I was taken out of my old facility and brought to this one. I had a mask over my eyes and was sedated. They told me that the world was intimidating now. They didn't want to freak me out.

So, here I am sitting in my plain beige room getting ready for another transport. This one will take me to the doctors office to receive my regression shot. From there I'll be taken to a different building where my new family will be waiting for me.

"Come on Clara it's time to leave."

I look up as my door opens to see my alien caregiver Lucia open the door. She's a tall robust woman with hazel eyes and brown hair.

I know the drill by now. I stand, take her hand, as she leads me down the white sterile hallway.

"Now, you'll know you'll have to be blindfolded. You'll be placed in your car seat. I'll carry you into the facility and then I'll have to leave."

"Not forever though right? I'll see you afterwards?" I say to Lucia.

We stop by the solid front doors as she squats so she's at my height.

"No, sweet girl. You'll go to your new family. They're nice people my love. You'll eventually forget about me but you'll always be in my heart." She says as she reaches over to wipe my tears.

Lucia is my best friend. She's been with me for the last eight years. She was there when I had nightmares, when I was angry at the aliens for trapping me here, she was here for everything and now I'm leaving her.

I lean towards her and wrap my arms around her neck. Crying into her shoulder.

"I'll miss you more than all the stars in the sky." I say tearfully.

"I'll miss you more than all the trees in the ground." She says while slipping my blindfold over my head.

The last thing I feel before I'm taken by guards is a kiss on my forehead and a small sniffle.

Soon I feel a small prick of a needle before I fade into darkness.