Chapter Twenty-Two: Not So Nice Mawmaw

Grace (Mama) POV:

I look down when I feel Clara stop suckling. Her mouth is still wrapped around my nipple but she's fallen asleep. I slide my finger gently into her mouth to unlatch her, then gently maneuver her onto my shoulder so I can burp her.

"You're a good mom. You know that right?" I look over at my Mom as she says this.

My mother and I don't have a good relationship. When I was growing up she was severely absent. She preferred the company of my brothers over me. It never bothered me because I still had my Dads.

That all changed when my mother started to become mean. Walking out of rooms when I entered them, ignoring me when I would try and speak to her, making rude remarks about my looks, and generally not caring for my wellbeing.

My mother and I's relationship is still strained to this day. The only reason I allow her around Clara is because I set boundaries. Clara's not allowed to sleepover at my Mom's house, Clara's not allowed to be alone with my mom for longer than ten minutes, my mom is not to bathe or change Clara, and my mother is not to talk down about me to Clara.

If she disregards these boundaries, she's not allowed to see Clara anymore. It sounds harsh but I'm breaking the cycle of abusive women in my family.

"Yea, no thanks to you Mom. The only reason I allow you in my house is because you clearly love Clara when you don't love me. I have no problem with you not caring about me, I've grown past that. But the only thing you've taught me is how not to treat my daughter."

"What's in the past is the past. I can't change how I treated you. The only thing I can do is be better to Clara. I'm sorry for how I treated you when you were growing up. I just want to get to know my only grandbaby."

I just hum in response. I stand up from the rocking chair, remove my shirt and bra, and grab Clara's wrap from the closet. The wrap allows her to be close to my body for skin to skin, while I walk around. It also covers my breasts for modesty. I gently wrap the heavy silk around my body, maneuvering Clara along the way. I finally have her so she's laying sideways across my chest, her cheek is cradled against my right breast, while the wrap cradles her tight against my body.

I pick up a small blanket and throw it over my right shoulder so the sunlight is out of Clara's eyes. Clara starts to whine a little bit so I adjust her so that my nipple is in front of her mouth. Her little face scrunches up and she looks like she's about to cry.

I brush my nipple across the seam of her lips and she opens her mouth. I put my
nipple in her mouth and give my breast a squeeze to get the milk flowing. Finally, she latches on and stops whining. I look up to see the my Mom and Dad are staring at me.

"You're letting her use you as a breathing pacifier." My mom says with just a hint of snark.

"Mom, her gums hurt. She's confused, tired, and just getting over being sick. If she wants to nurse to feel a tad bit better, then that's what I'll do. I'll sacrifice my comfort to help her feel better. Like a good mother should do. If you have a problem with it, then you can leave." I snap.

"Now, now, let's not not get all riled up here. Let's go see what Calisto is up to." Dad says. Always the peacekeeper.

We make our way down to Calisto's office. He doesn't have any important meetings right now so we walk right on in. As soon as he looks up a large smile reserved only for his family, lights up his face.

"How's my loves doing?" He asks as he stands up and rounds his desk. He gives me a kiss on my cheek, lifts the blanket that's over Clara's head, and gives her a small peck on her chubby cheek.

"How are you doing Margaret, Thatcher?" He addresses my Mom and Dad.

"We're doing fantastic. Just waiting on our granddaughter to wake up so we can continue playing." Dad answers.

"She'll wake up around lunch. If we wake her now she'll be cranky all day." Calisto says.

We all nod and sit on the couches in his office to catch up. I tell Mom and Dad all about Clara and even send them a few photos that they can print out and hang on their walls.

By the time our conversation closes it's almost lunch time. I start to pat Clara's butt to wake her up. She stopped nursing a while ago but kept her mouth around my nipple.

"Come on, Clara. It's time to wake up and get some food in your tummy. Mommy and Daddies wanna see your pretty eyes." I gently prod.

Clara starts to whine and wiggles in her wrap, her little face scrunches up when she lets out a tiny fart. Her face turns bright red and that's when I realize she's trying to poop.

"I'm going to take her up to the nursery so I can take care of that diaper and get some clothes on. I'll meet you guys in the dining room."

I take Clara upstairs, undo the wrap, and lay her on the changing table. I hurriedly get dressed and wait for her to finish pooping. Her eyes are closed and her legs are pushed up to her chest, while she grunts.

After about five more minutes her face goes slack and her body relaxes. I hurriedly change her when and am wiping her, when she starts to wake up. Her eyes open and she raises her arms above her head in a cute little stretch.

"Did you have a good nap?" I ask.

The only answer I get is a yawn.

"I'll take that as a 'yes.' I chuckle.

I dress Clara in a short sleeved purple onesie that says, "Mommy's Sunshine."

"Come on sleepy girl, let's get some food in that tummy."