Chapter Forty-One: Sleep Is For The Weak

Clara POV:

Waking up, I see that I'm all alone. I don't like to be alone, I like to be around Mama and Daddies. I turn my head and see that I'm in my crib but the room is dark. I don't like the dark! On top of that, my gums hurt and I can't find my binki.

I start to get overwhelmed and before I know what I'm doing, I let out a loud cry. It seems like I'm crying forever before Daddy comes into the room. I don't want Daddy, though. I want Mama! She has milkies and soft cuddles. Her boobies are nice to lay on, they're like pillows. "Shhh, why are you screaming, babygirl?"

Daddy picks me up and rocks me but I don't want that! I want Mama to hold me. "Nu wan chu! Wan Mama." I say through my tears.

"Okay, let's go get Mommy then." Daddy carries me into his room and I see Mama sitting up in bed without a shirt on.

"What's wrong with her, Cal?" Mama asks.

"I think her gums are hurting. She wants you." He says, passing me off to Mama.

As soon as I'm in Mama's arms, I try to get some of her boobie. "Slow down, Clara. I'm not going anywhere. Here." Mama guides her boobie to my mouth and I latch on, drinking all of her milkies.

"See, you're okay now. Do you want to lay down with Mama and Daddies?" She asks.

"Nu..." I mumble around her nipple. I don't want to go back to sleep! I want to play.

Mama sighs and goes to lay down but stops when I start crying. "Clara, Mama and Daddies are sleepy. Can Mama just lay down? You don't have to go to sleep, just let Mama lay down, please?"

I don't answer, just suck harder on her boobie. Mama tries to lay down again but I cry louder. I don't know why she's not getting it! I want her and daddies to play with me after I'm done drinking! "Cal, can you go get some of her teething medicine?"

"Already have it. Unlatch her so I can give it to her." Daddy says, looking down at Mama and I.

"She's going to scream." Mama sighs, but pulls my mouth from her boobie. I try to bite down so I can keep it but Mama lightly taps my bum.

"No, Clara! We don't bite Mama. That hurt!" She says, rubbing her boobie.

Throwing myself down on the bed, I scream and cry. I don't know why they're being meanies! I just want milkies and to play! I scream and cry for a while until Daddy squirts the medicine in my mouth. I try to spit it out but I already swallowed most of it. "I don't understand what's going on with her tonight." Mama sighs.

"Just let her temper tantrum pass. She's not getting her way so she's throwing a fit." Daddy says.

I scream and cry a lot more until finally, Daddy picks me up. "Clara, if you don't stop I'm going to put you in your room. We don't throw tantrums." Daddy says, lightly bouncing me.

Stretching my arm out, I smack Daddy on his cheek. I don't want to sleep in my room! I don't want to sleep at all! "No Ma'am! You know better than to hit. I don't want to put you in timeout at three in the morning, but I will." Daddy sounds mean which causes me to cry louder.

"Babe, just set her down in her swing. She's going to keep throwing her tantrum if we sit here and try to reason with her. She's a toddler, we can't use logic to calm her down." Mama says.

Daddy brings me over to my swing and lays me down in it, buckling me in. He turns it on and it slowly starts to rock back and forth. There's even a soft song playing, as well. "I'll go get her a bottle of my milk. Hopefully, she'll calm down soon." Mama gets out of bed and I watch as she leaves the room.