Chapter Thirteen: Emergency

Grace (Mama) POV:

It's been six weeks since we've brought Clara home. Honestly, it's been a dream.

Clara is on the most part behaved. There's been a couple times where we've had to put her in time out, but other than that she's a joy.

Currently, my husbands and I are laying in bed for the night. We've had a particularly hard day since Clara has been sick.

This morning when I went to wake her up she told me that her tummy hurt. All throughout the day she wouldn't eat solid food. She just wanted to nurse.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with her nursing. Except for the fact that she wanted to drink all day.

We tried everything to make her feel better. But at the end of the day my breasts were sore, I was overly emotional, and she was in pain.

When our baby finally fell asleep in our bed, I moved her to the nursery. Turning on the monitor as I left.

I'm about to get some shut eye when I hear a choking sound come out of the monitor.

Rushing to sit up, I grab the baby monitor and what I see turns my blood cold.

Clara is laying on her back choking on her own vomit.

I scream at my husbands to get up and rush into Clara's room. When I go to pick her up her skin feels like it's on fire. She's sweaty, covered in vomit, and is floppy in my arms.

"CALL SECURITY AND GET THE CAR READY! WE GOTTA GET HER TO THE HOSPITAL!" I shout to the men.

They all snap out of their shock and rush to get everything ready for the hospital. I hold Clara to my chest, rocking her gently.

"Shhh my love. Mama has you. Okay? You're gonna be just fine my little butterfly."

Clara is unresponsive in my arms. I look down at her and see she's pale. Almost deathly pale.

"Let's go!" Dechen shouts.

We all run to the elevator and into the car. I don't bother putting Clara in her car seat. I just sit there and hold her, crying softly.

We speed through the streets to the hospital where a team of doctors are waiting for us. They gently take her from my arms, laying her on a gurney, and rush her to the pediatric ward.

"Go with her!" I shout to one of the security guards.

One of the guards from our team rush to catch up with the doctors. As soon as he turns the corner I break down. I fall to the floor hyperventilating. My chest feels tight. My poor baby. I should've seen it earlier when she was practically clinging to me.

I feel strong arms wrap around me and lift me off the floor. Based off his cologne I know it's Calisto.

"Love, I can see it in your eyes. It's not your fault. None of us could've predicted this."

"It is my fault. I should've known something was wrong when she clung to me all day. I should've brought her into the doctors when she said her tummy hurt." I reply.

"From what I read in the books, a tummy ache was common back when humans ruled. They took some medicine and went on with their days. We gave her the medicine before she went to bed. We didn't know this could've happened."

Although Calisto is trying to reason with me, I don't listen. I should've read the signs.

By the time I cry myself out we're on the pediatric ICU floor. Because the family is all here, the floor is on high lockdown. The last thing we need is somebody trying to kill our family while doctors try to figure out what's wrong with Clara.